Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:45 AM   #1

Default NYC Pics Under Nice Looking Clouds

I took these pictures last Friday morning in midtown Manhattan when there were what I think great-looking clouds. I think that's one way a photographer could, um, "cheat" to create dramatic landscapes, that is, by waiting for clouds to appear.

#1) Times Square -- north side.

#2) Grand Central, Metlife, and Chrysler buildings.

#3) High Line Park is an elevated public park that runs from the Meatpacking District to 34th Street on the west side of Manhattan. It was "originally constructed in the 1930s to lift dangerous freight trains off Manhattan's streets." (source: http://www.thehighline.org) Rail tracks still run the length of the park covered mostly by plants maintained by Friends of the High Line supporters.

#4) To be honest, I wasn't totally impressed by the views at the elevated park. But that was because I had high expectations. I thought I'd see the New York City skyline along with some prominent buildings like the Empire State, Chrysler, or maybe even the Citicorp tower. But instead the Empire State building would only sometimes peek between what looked like apartment and warehouse buildings.

#5) So to sort of prove my point about clouds, just as flowers like these at High Line Park will always draw viewers...

#6) ...clouds I think would make any landscape however dreary look fantastic.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jul 11, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Another nice series.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:51 PM   #3

Thank you, Walter.

#7) Belvedere Castle in Central Park. "Originally designed in 1865 by Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mould, Belvedere Castle was intended to be a Victorian Folly, a fantasy structure that provides a great backdrop and views, but without a real intended purpose." (source: http://www.centralpark.com/guide/att...re-castle.html)

#8) Cleopatra's Needle in Central Park. Whereas Belvedere Castle wasn't an actual castle but was erected merely to serve as a park attraction, Cleopatra's Needle is an authentic Egyptian obelisk created 3,500 years ago. Its inscriptions include hieroglyphs from the period of the pharoahs including Rameses II. (source: wikipedia.org) It stands today at the back of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (aka, "The Met").
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote