Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:39 PM   #1

Default Colorado Springs, Colorado

The city of Colorado Springs is another popular tourist magnet in Colorado because it is at the foot of Pikes Peak. Pikes Peak is one of several mountains in Colorado that are over 14,000 feet high.

In 1858, gold was found at Pikes Peak. Goldseekers who missed out on the California Gold Rush just nine years earlier flocked to the region. They didn't find much gold but they found instead another "goldmine". Tourists won't stop coming to gawk at Rocky Mountain. So the goldseekers stayed making a killing on tourism. And soon the Colorado state was born.

Colorado in Spanish means "colored red". As you will see from the pictures here taken at the Garden of the Gods (a National Natural Landmark) and Manitou Cliff Dwellings (a privately-owned museum), the red soil (called "sandstone") gave the state its name.

There is much to see and do in Colorado. There are the awe-inducing nature parks and then there are the cities with what I think are their mostly hippie beats. We went to Colorado Springs south of Denver on our first day there. By the end of our second day, after seeing Rocky Mountain National Park northwest of Denver, Colorado Springs felt like a distant memory from a long time ago in a faraway land.

#1) According to its website, the Manitou Cliff Dwellings feature "authentic Anasazi cliff dwellings, built more than 700 years ago". The Anasazi is "an American Indian culture that roamed the Four Corners area of the Southwest from 1200 B.C. to A.D. 1300".

#2) But according to wikipedia, the reconstructed dwellings are a fake. The Anasazi lived nowhere nearby and the dwellings were built in the 1900s to buttress the region's tourist business.

#3) Regardless, the view from the Manitou Cliff Dwellings Museum was great. From what I can make out in google maps, this shot of the parking lot has a direct line of sight to Pikes Peak which is less than seven miles away. And as another website says, "these dwellings were reconstructed over one hundred years ago" and so "are a piece of history themselves" .

#4) At the Garden of the Gods, the main attraction is the "Balanced Rock". A balancing rock is a "naturally occurring geological formation". Some only "appear to be balancing but are in fact firmly connected to a base rock by a pedestal or stem." (source: wikipedia.org)
Most tourists stop there to take pictures.

#5) But I followed my wife further up (she's at center taking pictures) to admire the view.

#6) And kept going until I found another balancing rock!

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Aug 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM. Reason: Oops -- 1858 instead of "1959".
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:13 PM   #2

What a great series vv. Vivid colours and contrasts and, once again, an interesting history lesson. Colorado is a perfect name for this State.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:32 AM   #3

Thank you, banksy.

#7) There were constantly people on the Balanced Rock at Garden of the Gods so I couldn't get a clear shot.

#8) On the other hand, people kept stopping and hiding when they saw me taking pictures at one of three entrances to the Cliff Dwellings Museum store.

#9) Tree on a ledge at Garden of the Gods.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Aug 16, 2011 at 8:53 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:14 PM   #4

Another GREAT series, vvcarpio

You are certainly sharing several nice ultra wide perspectives.

Some of the colours are coming out a bit too bright / saturated (eg the greens in #5 and is the pink in #8 really like that... it could be!)

The people in photo #4 and #7 help give a perspective of the size of the scene. (Though I wonder why there is that 'ghosting' appearance of some people, eg lower right of #4).

The last photo is my favourite of this series. What an AWESOME tree, with such character. The 'only' thing for me is that it's a shame the branch to the right is 'chopped off'. (not sure if you had any scope to get that in). The trees in the lower / background part add to the composition, and the roots especially too. Love it.

PS you'd labelled that photo #3, but which is #9 in the sequence. I expect that's probably because phone keypads and computer keypads are not the same... this can sometimes be annoying when 'switching' between PC and phone!

Thanks for sharing.... I look forward to your comments / reply if you can about the post processing / ghosting.

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:53 AM   #5

I agree with everything you said. I was going for high contrast and in the process made some of the greens fluorescent and the wall paint pink. I processed another HDR-pic this time with the natural red rock against the wall paint. I think the wall paint looks more natural this time.

I'll also pay more attention to ghosted people next time -- they are caused by HDR (which I can further control). Sometimes I want motion blur but sometimes they just appear to be ghosts which could be distracting.

I remember hurrying when I shot the tree -- I didn't notice the cropped branch at the time but noticed it during pp. I don't know why I was hurrying but I think it's because there were so many nice views and I wanted to shoot as much as I can before we left.

Thanks a lot for all the comments, Paul. Every little bit helps me improve.

PS. Yes, #3 should be #9.

#9)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:01 PM   #6

Great series, vv. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:30 PM   #7

Thank you, Jeff.

#10)