Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:27 AM   #1

Default More Startrails...

I'm not looking at the clock... The alarm is going off at 6am...

Anyhoo! I've been playing again tonight... I present to you two startrail photos.

You can see in the first photo that it's pretty bland. Less-than-good composition, full moon, clouds moving in; good recipe for undesirable images. I should've checked the moon phase before heading out. Ah well, it was fun trying!

I rather like the second image, though...

Canon T3
ISO 1600
Shutter speed 30s
Aperture 3.5
Focal length 18mm
Total of 150 photos taken
Both images cropped, resized and converted to JPEG in PhotoShop

#1 - Only the first 38 photos were used in this image. No color changes.

#2 - All 150 photos were used in this image. Heavy color changes, using VirtualPhotographer.

JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2011, 3:54 PM   #2

G'day Jeannie

Well Done !!!

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:11 PM   #3

Another good set of 'star trails' Jeannie, I like the 2nd better as well, the cloud was kinder to you.

How does the exposure stacking work? The 1st picture looks like the exposure time is about 15 seconds (going on length of trail) but it looks like it was taken in daylight.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:35 PM   #4

Thank you, Phil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
Another good set of 'star trails' Jeannie, I like the 2nd better as well, the cloud was kinder to you.

How does the exposure stacking work? The 1st picture looks like the exposure time is about 15 seconds (going on length of trail) but it looks like it was taken in daylight.
Thank you, Square one!

The first picture is 38, 30-second frames. One 15-second frame would just be slightly blurred (if that), no real length to the stars.

The way it works is you take a whole bunch of shots and then layer them, one upon the other and this shows the movement. You can do it manually (using layers in PhotoShop, for instance), or you can use a program specifically designed to do this. I use startrails.de. It's much easier!

The reason it looks like it was taken in daylight is because there was a full moon shining on everything. It was also lighting up the clouds, so it made the sky look even brighter than it would have, if there were no clouds.

If I hadn't done the color changes, the second image would have looked similar but worse than the first, because there was so much more cloud cover, by the time it got up to shot 150. When I went out there to bring in the camera, I could hardly see any stars, at all!

Using VirtualPhotographer (a PhotoShop plugin), I was able to manipulate the colors. I had done something similar manually, but it just wasn't quite good enough; so I used VP instead. Color manipulation is something that I'm just not very good at, I'm afraid (though I do try!) If it isn't going the way I want it to go, I just let someone else's knowledge take care of it.

Last edited by JeannieBug; Aug 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM. Reason: For clarification
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:22 PM   #5
spy

It hard picking my favourite as they both have their own qualities. The roof line gives the viewer a sense that it's an old shed or homestead....

Long exposure shooting during the full moon has that look of 'day time' with the benefits of doing light painting which can't be done during day time shooting. It's a neat effect!
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:12 PM   #6

Nice ones Jeannie, I like #2.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:26 PM   #7

Thank you, spy! I'm just not lovin' the first one. I think because it is so much like daylight...

The roof line is of one of several outbuildings that we have on our property. It wasn't built all that long ago, but the roof never got finished and the boards separated and warped. Obviously, only things that are okay to get wet, can stay in there. LOL But, this building is quite close to the house and was once the laundry room (until I moved in and said I didn't want to risk electrocution just to do a load of towels.) I'd like to get more of the roof in the shot, but there's a big, ugly floodlight, right below the edge of the frame.

Thank you, jj! #2 is my favorite too!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:44 AM   #8

Canon EOS Rebel T3
Kit lens at 18mm
Shutter speed 30sec
Aperture 3.5
ISO 1600
PP in ancient version of Photoshop

Forgot to turn off IS - I think that's why it's kind of shaky looking.

I'm a little bummed because I had a meteor and two airplanes to deal with. The meteor was only in one frame, so I was able to easily deal with it (just leave that one frame out). The airplanes, however, were another story. I ended up leaving out the last (almost half!) of my images.

Meteor:

Old Sep 4, 2011, 3:18 PM   #9

Good meteor.

.... I just threw out PS V2.5 instruction book, thought it was time to move on V6
Old Sep 4, 2011, 6:02 PM   #10

Cool shots JeannieBug.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote