Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:57 PM   #1
spy

Default Comet or Drawf Star - Elenin

Not sure how this info came to me but about 2 weeks ago I became privy to information of a "comet" heading our way. The authorities dismiss it as a "whimpy" ball of ice and others say it is a dwarf star that is massive in size and is causing the axis shift of the earth. Whatever it is is scheduled to be closest to us from this September 26 - October 11.

Plenty of information if you google "Elenin" or view it on Youtube.

I went out this morning before sunrise to see for myself if this thing was real or a hoax and parked on top of Nose Hill Park waiting to see something other than the sun. The video attached at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBGK...eature=related
is not from me but was filmed in Mexico and posted. I watched another video from last night filmed from some other location that showed the very same "V" shaped object just above the pre-sun horizon.

You can see this object with the naked eye but if your going to grab your movie or dslr camera, you NEED a tripod to still the thing so you can zoom right in and see it for yourself. This comet or dwarf star is not a whimp but has two flame trails off both sides stretching hundreds of thousands of miles in length and crossing the earths orbit between the end of September through October this year.

This is my photo at 200mm 2.8 then cropped 200%.

This object can now be seen by the naked eye and (for my location, Calgary, Alberta, Canada) it rises just before the sun does by about 20 minutes and is just to the right of where the sun rises. It is just on the other side of the sun so is well lit, much like what a planet would look like until you zoom right in to see it's flaming tails.

Kevin
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:21 PM   #2
spy

Im picking up the 100 - 400mm with a 2x's teleconverter tonight to get another shot of it in the morning. Skies are clear here and will get a better shot of it. Anybody else has the ability to get closer than 800mm, please try and capture an image of it.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:29 PM   #3
spy

Hit the hill this morning with the new equipment giving me 800mm and cropped 100%. The flame trails have turned since 24 hours ago as Elenin is making it's turn around this side of the sun. It was only visible for 2 minutes allowing me to take about 10 photos before it was gone. It was interesting watching it with my live view lcd screen zoomed in 10x, the leading edge of it (right side curled up) flickered with intense light.

It will only get bigger now that it is inbound and expecting to cross earth's path and just in front of us October 11. Anybody tried going out this morning to view it?

Kevin
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:10 AM   #4

Very interesting info.

Your mention of "whimpy" reminded me of WIMPs which stand for "weakly interacting massive particles" (source: "Einstein's Telescope" [2009] by Evalyn Gates). They are theoretical particles that, if existing, could explain "dark matter", another mystery that physicists have yet to figure out. Because a WIMP (if it exists) would be invisible ("they do not interact with electromagnetism" - wikipedia.org) its strong gravity would cause objects behind it (stars, galaxies) to appear distorted since light coming from those objects would be bent by the WIMP's gravity before it reaches our eyes (and telescopes and whatnot).

Anyway I thought for a moment "whimpy" might be WIMP and the image we're looking at is therefore "gravitational lensing" which is kind of a holy grail for some physicists and so I got excited. But reading further apparently it's not. Still, any phenomena in the sky is worth looking at and to me very exciting. Hopefully tomorrow morning would not be cloudy so I can check it out.

Thanks for sharing photos and info on how to spot it.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5
spy

Reading what one NASA representative was saying about this 'comet', he was downplaying the seriousness others were saying about it by saying it was "whimpy" in size. So far NASA has not declared it's size. The only thing one is left to do is read up on what other astronomers and 'astronomer want-to-be's' are saying.....what I find interesting and perplexing is the more I sift through all the info being posted, the one thing that stands out for me is that when looking at it's orbit along with ours in relation to the sun, every time the three of us are in line, major events happen here on earth which is a result of our axis shifting. Wouldn't it take something very big and magnetically strong to shift our earth? When the news has covered the major events that have happened they say "oh this event happened on earth which shifted our axis by 4 or 5 inches".....right? Have we all not heard this?, I think the correct way of saying it is "our earth shifted 4 or 5 inches then the major events came".....

The question that has been asked, is if this 'comet' is so "whimpy", why is there such a tug-of-war during this alinement?

One such downplay from the scientist where NASA is concerned is 'the closest this comet gets is still only 20 some million miles away when it crosses our path in front of us, so no, it's not going to hit us'....maybe so, but they're not saying much about the debris or gas field that is left waiting for us when we catch up to that crossing point a week or so later.

I went out again this morning to the hill on the park but due to forest fires around, there was too much smokey haze not allowing me to see the 'comet'.

Last edited by spy; Sep 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:03 AM   #6
spy

So B.C's Victoria Island had a 6.4 earthquake today as well as the northern lights over Calgary tonight. Seeing these lights is very rare and even more rare is seeing them during this time of year and bright enough even with the full moon.

I'm hoping that tomorrow morning the eastern horizon sky will be clear of smokey haze and will try to get another photo of the comet.

For those googling comet elenin and sifting through all the good and bad information out there on this subject, I've seen a lot but non have been more informative as this clip. I recommend watching this one as the guy explaining his research explains what is happening in a most comprehensive and down to earth way and he just makes sense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GMILqaYX3Y
Attached Images

Last edited by spy; Sep 10, 2011 at 3:07 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:46 AM   #7

These are awesome images BUT I think in my own opinion that this is fear mongering but not from you though as the internet is doing a great job on it's own from many desk jockeys.
Very interesting thread that is thought provoking and I like that !
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:41 AM   #8
spy

We are a people very moved by fear and it's BIG business. It's amazing what is found on the subject of this comet when you look around on the net. The last fear mongering I can remember was the dreaded and doomsday event of Y2K. There was a lot on the subject and there was plenty of those saying "run for the hills!" then....

As the guy in the video clip says, there is so much dis-information concerning the comet and it's well funded. It is our nature as a whole to be drawn to fear, it is what captivates our minds and we formulate our own truths. We all want proof,...something tangible that we can see, feel, taste...but our imagination usually wins out at the end of the day as we formulate our own truths.

You may have heard the saying that 'we can't see the trees for the forest'. When Jesus was around - (not preaching here)...the people always wanted to see a "sign" so they could believe in what He was saying, He would show them signs but the people were blind to it. The signs were not enough to convince and here we are 2000 years later and we still want to see signs. The "signs" as I see it is not what people are saying but what my eyes are seeing. This world is showing signs of distress.

At the end of the day, I hope nothing comes of this comet...that this thing will just pass us by and we go about our day and lives, try to do good to ourselves and others and the lesson learned from this is that we are diligent in seeking truth.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:58 AM   #9

I totally agree Spy and this subject DOES intrigue me to say the least. The path that Elenin seems to be following is all the doomsday people are getting ready to board the comet or drink the Koolaid if you know what I mean and taking away from legitimate science of Elenin that is being discussed in proper form.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:08 AM   #10

comet, maybe. dwarf star? not so much. anything of that mass anywhere in our solar system would already be causing havoc due to its gravitational field. if it's a comet, and is previously unknown, that speaks loudly to the need for a world-wide "sky-watch" program to locate, identify and track any object with the potential for a "near miss", much less a collision... unfortunately, that kind of program is not funded, and only exists as a loose network of amateur astronomers.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote