Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:03 AM   #1

Default Fort Santiago, Intramuros, Manila

Way back in the time of Columbus, before America was discovered, Europeans were crazy about spices. They loved seasoning their food with it -- nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. They slathered their roasted animals with spices to impress their guests.

But spices were expensive. Only the wealthy can afford them. They were imported from the Moluccas (part of modern day Indonesia) and took a long way by land caravans to reach Europe. By the time the spices reached Europe -- after middlemen and pirates jacked up the price -- one pound of nutmeg traded for seven oxen. So sea merchants schemed to find routes for importing the spices by sea, eliminating the middlemen, and striking it rich themselves.

Christopher Columbus was one such merchant. Sailing under the Spanish flag, he had to sail west because the eastward passage (down the tip of Africa then turn left for the Indian Ocean) was already discovered and owned by the Portuguese through its explorer, Vasco de Gama. Incursion by Spain -- or any other country for that matter -- on Portugal’s route meant a bloody battle at sea.

Columbus, however, discovered America instead.

Believing that America was Asia, Columbus would sail no further. He searched for the Moluccas in the Caribbean and never found it. It was Ferdinand Magellan who, also sailing for the Spanish flag years later, in 1521 rounded the continent that Columbus discovered and crossed the Pacific to continue Spain’s quest for a westward passage.

Magellan, in turn, discovered the Philippines.

During the so-called “Age of Discovery” when long distance maritime travel became possible, the practice was for explorers to encircle their encampments with fortified walls. They did this to protect themselves not just from the hostile natives but from fellow explorers, too, who would surely come to invade and breach unprotected bastions.

When the Spanish government set itself up in the Philippines, the same fortification was created. In 1571, a stone wall eight feet thick was constructed to surround its seat of power in Manila. The walled encampment was called, “Intramuros”, or translated from Latin, “within the walls”.

The pictures here are from defense fortress, Fort Santiago, located in Intramuros, where the Spaniards ran the country's affairs for 300 years. Many Filipino prisoners died here in dungeons below ground -- from the time of the rebellion against the Spaniards to the Japanese occupation during WWII.

Fort Santiago today is perhaps the most popular tourist attraction in Manila.

#1) Fort Santiago entrance.

#2) Ruins within the Fort Santiago compound.

#3) Guard post overlooking Pasig River.

#4) Fort Santiago building itself.

#5)
Fort Santiago compound with Rizal -- the Philippines' national hero who was incarcerated there by the Spaniards -- shrine in the distance.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:18 AM   #2

Not too keen on 1,2 and 4 - the processing is a bit too obvious for my tastes but the last one is outstanding - amazingly sharp and vibrant.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:20 AM   #3

I think, as far as the sky is concerned at least, I know what you mean. When I brightened the sky, some areas got washed out. So I decided to brighten it not too much which resulted in a dim sky. It actually drizzled while I was taking pictures so I was hoping I could keep the about-to-rain lighting. Thank you for the comments and compliments, Martin.

#6) Manila Cathedral in front of Fort Santiago.

#7) Period pieces inside the museum.

#8) Two actresses in character before the free play started.

#9) Rizal Park, a.k.a. "Luneta Park". The monument is the exact spot where the Philippines' national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, was executed by firing squad.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:40 AM   #4

Enjoyed them all, especially 7 and 8. Thanks for sharing.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:01 AM   #5

Thank you, Walter.

#10) More period pieces...

#11) ...and clothing.

#12) Pasig River viewed from Fort Santiago facing east into Manila and facing away from Manila Bay.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:04 PM   #6

Really enjoyed the inside shots.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:46 AM   #7

Thanks vvcarpio. Brought back memories of trips to Manila, Subic Bay, and Angeles City in connection with work for the US military. Wonderful country and scenery - love the food and shopping in Manila and would like to return.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:23 PM   #8

Thank you, jeephotog, paniolo.

paniolo, those two -- food and shopping -- are also the ones I miss most. I lose my poise just talking about them.

#13) I changed my processing a bit by brightening up the sky some without hopefully losing details. C&C are welcome.

#14) Play in progress.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:57 PM   #9

#2, Fort Santiago building itself, really like the 'old and new' that this shows

Thanks for sharing these and others to produce a virtual tour of Bohol, it makes me even more interested in going there
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:44 PM   #10

Great images vvcarpio- love No10..
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote