Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:25 PM   #1

Default "Why aren't they taking a picture of me?"

I was merely angling to turn a major landmark, the Empire State Building on the far left, into a minor player when I took this picture. I was doing that to perhaps belabor the point that anytime you look up anywhere you happen to be in Manhattan, you're bound to see a NYC icon looming in the distance.

And as is often the case whenever I plant my tripod on a NYC sidewalk and start shooting, others are bound to do the same they pull out their cameras and start shooting, too, just as the three women on the left are doing here, aiming high at the NYC skyscrapers. With the prevalence of pocket and phone cameras, everyone is a photographer nowadays.

Everyone, that is, except the lone woman wearing red gloves and carrying a white paperbag waiting to cross Fifth Avenue, who, by virtue of her back turned toward the women taking snapshots seems to say, Im right here why arent they taking a picture of me?

And so even though I think the elements that comprise this picture are all pure happenstance hey, I just wanted a new take on an old landmark -- it seems that this picture captures the essence of NYC.

To many, NYC city is a place to see. But to a few others, its a place to be seen.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:01 AM   #2

I wouldnt really have noticed the lady you built this a
Image around, but I like the image for the clarity, sharpness, exposure (I mean technically it's well taken) and compositionally, for how it articulates the hustle and bustle of the city without being too cluttered. Good job
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:18 AM   #3

Thank you, schmintan.

Foursome -- two young girls and two older women -- enjoying the mild, 40s winter in Times Square.

My guess is they're tourists from warmer climes because they're out very early -- you can see one of the Times Square morning cleaning crew in red overalls on the right by the red steps and the metal grille is still covering the storefront on the left -- and temperature-be-damned they'll be wearing their brand new winter clothing that they bought specifically for this NYC trip when the unusually mild winter is making New Yorkers start to undress early for the spring. I know I would.

(Just kidding. I'm still wearing my brand new, ultra-cool, JCPenney winter jacket.)

Last edited by vvcarpio; Mar 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote