Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:31 AM   #1

Default Stewart State Forest from Barron Road South

These photos were taken at Stewart State Forest in Newburgh, NY along Barron Road from the south entrance.

A hunter walks ahead of me on Barron Road.

Stewart State Forest is very quiet.

It is so quiet that the only sounds I hear are mine -- my boots on the ground, my jacket squishing against my body, and my own breathing.

The quiet is absolute that any sound perks up my ears.

One time I heard a rhythmic, rustling noise in the bushes and my first instinct was to throw a rock at it to see what would come out.

Remembering the hunter ahead of me and thinking I might hit his head instead, I relinquished the idea as I didn't fancy being chased by a crazed huntsman with a shotgun in his hands.

I step off the road occasionally...

...to see what's yonder.

And whenever I feel like Julie Andrews singing the hills are alive I can't help but take a selfie.

Frozen marshland.

Sunrise at Stewart State Forest.

Thank you for looking! C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Photo were OK but what's up with the "crazed hunter" crap.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
1.4X Promaster Spectrum Teleconverter
506mm Pentax PF80-ED spotting Scope(digiscoper)
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:25 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post

Remembering the hunter ahead of me and thinking I might hit his head instead, I relinquished the idea as I didn't fancy being chased by a crazed huntsman with a shotgun in his hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Photo were OK but what's up with the "crazed hunter" crap.
OK Guys. Let's try to leave any personal or political beliefs about guns out of this forum.

Personally, I grew up in the Southern U.S., and I don't have a problem with it, as I've used guns since I was around 5 years old (or maybe even earlier), starting out with an air rifle, then a .22, and then a shotgun. That's the way we're brought up in my "neck of the woods". Virtually everyone had guns, and we're not all "crazed".

Some others feel differently. But, that's not what we want to see debated in our forums, as they're setup for discussion about photography, not the pros and cons of using guns, hunting, etc.. ;-)

So, it's best to avoid any comments about it either way (for example, the "crazed huntsman" comment made earlier, and the response to it later).

IOW, just because someone has a shotgun, doesn't mean that they're "crazed", and those kinds of comments are likely to offend other members that were brought up in different environments (as obvious from the response made to that comment).

So, please, let's just keep the comments about that kind of thing (pro or con) out the forums here, as that's just asking for debate that is not appropriate for discussion about photography.

If you want to debate pros and cons of that kind of thing, please take it to another forum; and stick to discussion about photography here.

Ditto for similar topics (religion, political preferences, ethnic background, etc.), as there are other forums for that kind of thing.

We want the forums here to be a place for photographers with a variety of beliefs and backgrounds to come and share a common interest in photography, not debate issues that are unrelated or be subjected to comments that stereotype them that may take offense to.

The people in our world have enough problems getting along with each other now, and hopefully, a place to discuss photography without those kinds of differences getting in the way will lead to better relationships.

Again, this is not the place to debate guns, hunting, religion, or similar topics.

So, let's all just stick to discussion about photography.

Thanks.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:57 PM   #4

Oops -- my apologies. I used "crazed" in the context of "upset" because (in my imagination) I hit him on the head with a rock and now upset at my meddling (really no place for a photographer this time of year) and (in my imagination) will chase me (with a real weapon at that) after that. My attempt at comedy of sorts -- misguided it turned out to be.

I also like to include narrative on my thoughts as a (ahem) photographer while on the scene but will refrain from doing that from now on.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote