Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 21, 2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Banned

Default Benefit of Buying Flashes.?

Personally, i don't like using flash and try to use it as little as possible.
But I have never bought a flash and I always just use flashes that are on the camera. I'm getting my first DSLR and I was just wondering, would I want/need a flash?
If so, why would I want one?

[IMG]http://***********************/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/35/smile.gif[/IMG]
crishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2014, 10:43 PM   #2

I use an external flash with my Sony A300 to get even lighting. I bounced the light from the ceiling to get this shot of my Granddaughter at Christmas.

Another one, bounced off the ceiling. You can also bounce horizontally off a wall for a different effect.

I just feel that an external flash is part of the kit. I even have one for my Canon SX 40. It can make a huge difference.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 6:13 PM   #3

External flashes will add a lot to your pics. Built in flashes are not much use. Id recommend a couple Yongnuo flashes and a couple remotes. Cost you less than $150 for everything. A remote/receiver on your camera hotshoe, a remote/receiver on a flash set as Master, then if the other flash is used its set to Slave so your camera sets one flash off which in turn sets the other off. Many options with this set up. All this said by someone who didnt like flash until I bought the Yongnuo and the remotes. As you can see by hawgwilds great shots, a flash lit pic doesnt have to look like it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 9:04 PM   #4

Great advice..Thank you..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
External flashes will add a lot to your pics. Built in flashes are not much use. Id recommend a couple Yongnuo flashes and a couple remotes. Cost you less than $150 for everything. A remote/receiver on your camera hotshoe, a remote/receiver on a flash set as Master, then if the other flash is used its set to Slave so your camera sets one flash off which in turn sets the other off. Many options with this set up. All this said by someone who didnt like flash until I bought the Yongnuo and the remotes. As you can see by hawgwilds great shots, a flash lit pic doesnt have to look like it.
mapleleaf56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 9:04 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I use external flashes quite a lot. It is great for freezing motion, adding fill-light, balancing foreground and background content and overall adding a bit of pop. The challenge is however, not to overuse it where the light appears harsh, or where there are objectionable reflections. Most times I use a diffuser, and bounce the flash off a ceiling. I also use the flash off-camera. During indoor photography, I use the slow-sync mode which produces nice balanced images. I know some photographers who use the flash even in full sun I order to kill shadows.

You can do a lot with the built in flash as well except perhaps achieve the effect of bouncing the flash off a surface. I'd experiment with the built in flash using the various modes and see if you like the results. The examples shown above are typical of an excellent use of a flash.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 3:49 PM   #6

I find flashes of very little use for Landscape Photos. (where this is posted)

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote