Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:45 PM   #1

Default Palos Verdes, Calif

First picture out of the box with my new Nikon D70

this was taken with no zoom, regular 18mm lens, full auto focus and exposure

and this one is with the 300mm lens - full auto focus and exposure

Agree with everyones comments - just wanted to show what the camera was like 'out of the box' w/o any post production work, etc. Thank you for your comments, especially re: the focusing point of the photo. I thought I had focused on the very tip of the peninsula but apparently I didn't and since I had just purchased the camera I didn't have a tripod handy in the car. (I will from now on though Photos have been compressed a bit for better size

Tom
Kingsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:16 AM   #2

With such a good camera you should post bigger shots.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:07 AM   #3

I was afraid of any limitations on the site for how big a picture to post - I'll edit the pictures and post the BIG ones

Thx!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:44 AM   #4

Hmmm, I must be missing something...Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:46 AM   #5

I enjoy large images like these ones.

I would like to comment though...

It obvious was an overcast day - therefore the kind of flat shots. Not much to do about that. What you could do , was to adjust the levels (high, mid and low) tones in these shots. You will have much better shots.

Your focus is very close to the bottom of the images. You also should consider focusing at the actual thing you want to show. If it's the whole scene then try and focus in the first third of the photo. You will get a much great depth of fields (DOF). Also try to get away from those AUTO settings. The camera isn't as advanced as your eye - you will see different scenes. By using i.e. the A program you will be able to control the DOF much better. Try shooting scenes like these with i.e. f. 11 or f. 16 and use a tripod or place the camera on a table or something. use selftimer. Probably just need in overcast weather.

Good luck on your purchase...
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:28 AM   #6

Problems with large prints

You can't view the picture without scrolling

Many here are on dialup and the pics will load too slowly
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 9:24 AM   #7

I agree with you Ohenry. However I would find a good compression of a 1024 x768 dimensional photo would please most people.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 9:47 AM   #8

Again, it depends on the viewer's screen settings. Even if the settings are for 1024X768, the image would still require some scrolling due to the nature of this forum's layout. Regarding the technical and asthetics of the image itself, I would have to agree with you totally on that regard Klaus. The larger images definately display the details (and flaws) better. They're great for showing how crisp an image output can be (although 100% crop would fit the screen better). Here's one more item to consider when posting larger images --- image theft.

Anyway, back to the photos here, I agree with Klaus' comments. The haze is just enough to be a bit of an issue. Some post processing may have been a big help here. Since I have to scroll the image to get the full results (short of downloading and looking at it in a viewer), I find it difficult to comment.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:03 PM   #9

Here is the same shot on a 'clear' day instead of the hazy day that I had in the initial post

D70, F/4.0
Old Apr 20, 2004, 11:37 PM   #10

Kingsnut,
Are you standing on some sort of incline? The horizon in both shots is tilted. With ocean shots you usually want that dead horizontal unless there's some special reason.
The haze is significantly less but still a factor.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote