Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:47 AM   #1

Default Please critique these

Pls compare these two pics.

The first is unedited whilst the second has had auto levels/colours/contrast adjustments on Photoshop - which is better and why?

I have also noticed that the sky does not come out on either - why?

Thanks!

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...&.dnm=7009.jpg

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...&.dnm=752a.jpg
Buckrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:30 AM   #2

The second one is better. The first one is washed out. The problem with the sky is an exposure issue. It's a bit difficult to tell much from the small image samples. The date/time imbedded in the photo is a major distraction. I would suggest turning off that feature in your camera and rely on the EXIF information to categorize by date.

There are a couple of ways to handle the bright sky issue. First is the use of a ND filter, preferably a graduated one that will lower the amount of light reaching the sensor in the brighter areas. The second would be to take two exact shots, one exposing for the highlights and the other exposing for the shadows then putting the two images together in Photoshop using blend layers. There are many ways to salvage a photo in Photoshop, including replacing the blown out skies with better skies from another picture.

In the case of future images similar to the one above and lacking the necessary filters or tripod for duplicate images, I would recommend that you expose for the highlights (histogram to the right, but not to the point where the histogram is cut off at the right edge) then selectively using curves to bring out the shadow details. Be careful that you don't underexpose the subject too drastically as you will induce significant color shifts and noise. Of course, you can go back and color correct and run a program to get rid of noise, but that takes a lot of time and patience which could be avoided had the image been properly exposed in the beginning.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:13 AM   #3

Ohenry, thanks for the advice.

Another query...is the the double-shot a common work-around for digicams? I would assume that film photographers would not be using Photoshop like that.
Buckrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 8:44 AM   #4

Yes, that method is used more in the digital world rather than film, but is a possibility even with film. Film has a wider tonal range and exposure latitude than either slide or digital media so it can handle higher contrast scenes easier.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:38 PM   #5

Awesome reflections.

It is too bad sky did not come out...

Also, I would suggest eliminating date in lower right corner if this is possible with your digcam.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote