Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 10, 2004, 12:29 AM   #1

A friend sent me a link on how to shoot lightning. I'd always wanted to try it, but with the shutter lag in digi-cams, it's darn near impossible....well, until I read the artical that is.... I was happy with the results considering this was my first real attempt at it.

I shot these in my backyardwith my Fuji s7000@ 6MP in apperature prioritymode. They were scaled down to 20% of original size for posting.

Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 1:26 AM   #2

spectacular! - can you post the link to the article so we can all have a go please?
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 3:15 AM   #3

Nice shots, i like lightning shots too. I always sit at the window watching for it when we have a storm. Not sure if i could get shots like that but i might have a go. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 4:29 AM   #4

Great shots! I'd love to do lightening but suspect I'd fail with my digicam. I read the best way to photograph lightening was to set the camera to bulb or a long exposure with a fast film in total darkness. When the lightening happens it is bright enough to show up on the film. Judging by the brightness of the sky you did something similar?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 11:44 AM   #5

well...not necessarily in darkness....you can cover the lens with a black piece of paper or something instead until it strikes.....

but you "can" also do it with a preset shutter....you just have to be VERY patient...

ahh...sry....got caught up in the questions

nice shots! these are beautiful! i would've liked to see some lightning going to the ground....but i know how hard this is...good job!!

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 1:16 PM   #6

I've heard that to. But the problem with that technique is knowing when to move the card.
Old May 10, 2004, 1:19 PM   #7

haha....very true.....but after you have the bulb set for too long..the lights in the area start taking over.
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 2:59 PM   #8

Delete and start again. But cross your fingers and hope it doesn't happen whilst you're resetting. :-)
Old May 10, 2004, 5:34 PM   #9

Here's the link:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8673069

These ended up at F4.8 with a 3 second exposure. I experimented a lot, during the couple hours I shot, but that's how both of these were done. As you might guess a tripod is essential.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 9:45 AM   #10

Very nice shots. I took some lightning images a while back that I posted here. The trick is to take long exposure shots continuously until you get a striking (pun intended :lol shot. In that particular session I took more than 200 pictures, most of which came out completely dark even though one of the thunderstorms was quite active electrically speaking.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=62

By the way, don't even think of deleting bad ones in the middle of shooting. Memory is cheap and not worth losing that awesome lightning bolt you just missed because you were deleting a picture.

luisr is offline   Reply With Quote