Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 29, 2004, 1:13 AM   #1

I took this photo of my son bodyboarding yesterday. Surf is pretty good at this time of year (almost winter but mild tempretures still) and the weather yesterday kept changing, so I had to keep changing the white balance. The photo was taken F8 and I set the camera to vivid. Apart from that all Ive done to it is adjusted the contrast and color. I feel that it looks almost unreal in that the wave looks as if its just plonked in the photo and my son seems to satnd out way more than I expected. I cant put my finger on what it is about this photo that looks strange to me but it does, what do you think.

actual size

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2004, 1:40 AM   #2

Hi aladyforty, [with my untrained eye], I would say that the dune/island/mountain at the back [tapering in on both ends]is giving a type of optical illusion, making your son seem larger than life ???

Nice action shot !!

Regards

Jake
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 3:24 AM   #3

Everything past your son has a blue hue. Does digital have the same problems as film with UV light? Where the UV over-exposes the blue? Or it might be from water in the air. It looks like two photographs were stuck together (the photo being taller than wide might emphasise this). The first photo is of a ship taken on a cold day. The second of your son on a warm one.

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 3:29 AM   #4

the big problem was the cloud formations on that day and the fact that the sun would glitter across the sand yet if you looked out it was dull beyond the surf, seriously strange. I have some other photos shot at the same time that I may put in sports pics.
Old May 29, 2004, 3:36 AM   #5

this was how the shoreline looked on the day

Old May 29, 2004, 5:52 AM   #6

I don't know anything about the effect in your first photo but that last one of the beach is great. Is this near your home ?. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 8:29 AM   #7

yes, our local beach about 5ks or 2 miles from my home. I live in a very prettycoastal town with a population of about 30 thousand. If you look at a map of Australia we are the most southern town in the western side of the country.
Old May 29, 2004, 8:32 AM   #8

You're very lucky, I have to go about 30 miles to get to the sea and Blackpoolbeach isn't as nice as yours. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 11:42 AM   #9

That's true jackrussel, it isn't very nice, but it's ok when I was about 6 and I traveled there for the light show! (9 years ago, when I lived in Cheshire)

Aaah, memories.
Chipseh is offline   Reply With Quote