Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 31, 2004, 11:59 AM   #1

this weekend we went to my grandparents house in the poconos for memorial day, and took this hike to a waterfall my grandfather found....

this is a picture stitched together from 4(i think....might be six) pictures....you can't really tell here....because it's drastically resized....but it's originally 2900x1900 or something like that! i'm hoping to find a place to print it really big!

i think i might post a thread in a printing forum..or int he General Q&A but i'll ask here too...

What PPI would be good enough to print big? at 72 ppi it says it's 40"xsomething....lol and then i changed it to 300 and it goes to 11"x8"....

would the quality be really bad at 72 ppi?

thanks

enjoy this picture! i had a blast taking them....i took a boat load of the stream before and after the waterfall....i might post them later....

i really like the orange of the rocks and clayishdirt underwater at the bottom right of the picture!

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 12:21 PM   #2

I can't answer your question but it's a great photo. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 12:25 PM   #3

thanks jack it's a gorgeous waterfall...but because of the time of day...i couldn't take a shot from the front of it...it would blow out the sky and the sunny spots on the ground.....but this angle worked well other than the blow out behind the leaves and on the top right of the falls...where the water is more full...

glad you like it!

Vito
Old May 31, 2004, 1:25 PM   #4

Its a GREAT photo. In my eyes the shutter speed is just perfect. Not too long, not too short.

For the quality. A3/A3+ is probably the biggest print to get good quality. However that depends on how picky you are. And how high quality the picture is in original. And if you print it bigger, you will probably look at it from a greater distance, thus the quality will perhaps be good enough for that.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 10:05 PM   #5

well...i'm feeling pretty stupid now....but how big is A3?

i'm very glad you like the photo....i wasn't too happy with the time of day we were going (we left at like 11:00...lol) so we got there and the sun wasnt' in the best spot....but once i got there i love how the water shows up in the sunspots

Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:38 AM   #6

These might help you.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html
http://home.inter.net/eds/paper/papersize.html
http://www.free-definition.com/Paper-size.html

I like it vito, as LCohen said, just right. The only bad point that I can pick out is the tree trunk in the centre throwing out a blue line.

Can I make a request for if you ever return? Can you take a normal picture after each long exposure, then piece it together so you can show what it really looks like and what the slow shutter version looks like?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:16 AM   #7

yes you can make a request....the only problem with shooting it like that..is i'd either have to use a flash (won't reach it well....lol) and i'd have to use a large arperture, which would throw a lot of the picture out of focus.....and a higher iso would kill it with noise.....

i can try....it's only a mile hike from my grandparents house, and my grandfather is as active as a 30 year old....so i should be able to go soon
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:27 AM   #8

Love the pic.

What is the orange color on the bottom right? Just curious.
jojojoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:07 PM   #9

jojojoy wrote:
Quote:
Love the pic.

*What is the orange color on the bottom right? Just curious.
Quote:
i really like the orange of the rocks and clayishdirt underwater at the bottom right of the picture!
Another mystery solved. :-)
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:17 PM   #10

sry.....threw something useful in with all the babble

i just loved how the orange came out like that....i have some shots of just the sun spots hitting orange rocks underwater....or maybe it's just dirt....i really am not sure....i should've reached down and grabbed watever it was!

i also took a bunch of shots of the smaller rapids and falls downstream from this waterfall...if you want i'll post one or two of them....

glad you like it jojojoy!