Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:17 PM   #1

Infrared

Visible

IR over Visible Blended with Luminosity in PS7

A few more can be found here (without the "Visible Light" originals).

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/...am_Bot_Garden/
Delos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:58 PM   #2

oh cool! this is done with a filter right?

i really like the third one...the infrared mixed in adds a lot! gives it a "dreamy"look

well done! beautiful little pond!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment. The IR is done with a Tiffen #87 IR filter. The luminosity blend (pic #3) is done by:

1. Using the visible light image as the background image

2. Copy the IR image over the Visible image (IR becomes top layer)

3. Using the Layer's Palette, select Luminosity as the blending mode.

Pretty simple.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:18 PM   #4

oh really? i figured you did all the steps the same, but the last one, i figured you had erased parts of it, and/or lowered the opacity....

well...it looks cool!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:22 PM   #5

Delos, great shot and example of how using an IR image in combination with a visible light image can increase the feeling in a photo.

Combining the IR image the way you did definitely helped areas in the scene that were cooler (ie: darker in IR light) to show up with more detail and depth in the result. However, I wonder if you could figure out how to retain those desirable results without altering the color of the sky in the background and without blowing out the highlight areas of the vegetation.

I love the way you are experimenting with IR and now it makes me want to go out and buy an IR filter for my camera. I'm not sure my camera (an Oly C-8080WZ) is a good digicam for IR purposes though...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the thoughtful comment. It is possible to create striking effects using IR and Visible light. For these shots, I just wanted to "throw something together" and get them posted. Please accept my apology if I am a little too enthusiastic in getting things posted.

My wife thinks the blending makes the images look similar to old postcards. I agree.

The blown out highlights can be corrected, and will be corrected. I like the sky, though. It has an ominous sort of look to it. Don't think I'll be messing around with that.

On some of the images on the website, the clouds moved quite a bit between exposures and the clouds and sky really look weird. Those I WILL work on!

These were shot with a Nikon D70. If anyone is interested in the exif data, I'll be happy to get it posted. The IR exposures were about1.6 seconds at f8. The visible light exposures were about 1/250 (give or take) at f8 (if memory serves).
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:18 PM   #7

It's a magical land where all the fairies live. :-)

Can you tell me more about this filter, or point to a place that does please?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:07 PM   #8

The filter is just a standard #87 NIR (near infrared) filter made by Tiffen. Got it at Adorama. If you have a DSLR, you cannot see anything through this filter when you look through the viewfinder. All composing is done prior to putting the filter on the camera. If you have an electronic viewfinder, you may be able to compose and shoot in a "fairly" normal fashion.

A google search will turn up tons of IR related web sites. Here's one to get you started...

http://www.dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

As you will learn, each make of digital camera will have its own IR properties. Some are exceptionally good at IR (Sony) others average (Nikon D70), others poor (sorry, my memory fails me for the name of a poor one). There is a filter that covers the imaging sensor to prevent IR light transmission. IR combined with visible light severely degrades the image. Depending upon the filtration, exposure times for NIR can be short (Sony), moderate to long (D70), or very long.

Bottom line: NIR is really a lot of fun, and some of the images can be incredible.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:08 PM   #9

Delos, thanks for the info and link. I will be looking into this and perhaps I'll be posting some experimental IR images in a few weeks (I hope)...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:10 PM   #10

Thanks Delos. I predict a flood of these now, geoffs. :-)
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote