Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1

This is the school and it's playing field that my son will be going to in September. It's handy being at the bottom of the garden because if he's late for schoool i can just throw him over the fence. This is made up from just three photos. I wanted to try out the stitch assist mode on my camera and the Canon Photostitch software. I'll try to find something more interesting to shoot next time. The software looks good, it can do horizontal, vertical, 360 and something called matrix stitching but i don't know what the last one is yet. :-)
Attached Images

jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:19 AM   #2

Nice one Mark.

Actually, that's pretty good. This forum is great for inspiration isn't it? I feel a need to have a go at this. :lol:
How did you hold the camera? Was it on a tripod or did you hand-hold it?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3

Jackrussell, I'd say you did a pretty darn good panorama first try!

I think that the matrix stitching is where you combine pictures in both horizontal and vertical directions (ie: >= 1 row and/or >= 1 column).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:28 AM   #4

Thanks ferny. :-)I just handheld the camera as i haven't got a tripod yet. I just tried to keep myself as steady as i could which wasn't easy as it's windy today. The stitch assist mode on my Canon A60 is a big help because you can see the end of the first shot and the beginning of the next so you can line them up fairly well. :-)
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks geoffs. :-)You may be right about the matrix stitching because the diagram showed a square split into four quarters. :-)
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:51 PM   #6

Very nice first pano

It's great when the camera has a pano mode. Not only does the guidelines help composition but it also fixes the exposure settings for the whole sequence which contributes to a successful pano very much. I learned that on my first pano attempts since my early camera had no such help.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:58 PM   #7

Thanks selvin.It's not the best scenery in the world but i could always come round to your house for some of that. :-)The stitch assist mode is a big help as you say and i think i'll be using it again when i find something more interesting to shoot. :-)
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:52 PM   #8

Mark,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nonetheless, with the mountains and oceans there are more opportunities to shoot something scenic. Here's something to keep in mind in scenics. I learned the hard way - tons of frustration.

Panos of the ocean with waves will invariably fail. The wave action taking place between shots simply doesn't allow for successful seamless panos. Still life panos are the easiest to blend.

In case you haven't seen, you can see some of my more successful attempts at:

http://www.pbase.com/selvin/panoramas

Remember these don't include the multitude of bad ones. Even these have some flaws. Cheers.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:07 PM   #9

Selvin, most of your panos are just beautiful. Great views - thanks for posting the link to your gallery. Hawaii is a beautiful place that I must take the time to see one of these days...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:13 AM   #10

Nice panoramas selvin. Much nicer than Longshaw Junior School. :-)