Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:06 AM   #1

Here are my first attempts at some more serious photography, on a trip to the Lake District. I bought a Canon A80, after returning an IXUS 400 (S400) for lack of manual controls. SO here goes.

The first one is an attempt at the blurred water effect. I think it was just too bright on that day, as any shuter speed slower than 1/30s would overexpose the image. I am trying to get hold of a Neutral Desnity Filter to help with this, but can't find a simple cheacp filter with lens adapter.
Attached Images

Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:09 AM   #2

The next is an attempt at framing a scene within the foreground. Unfortunately it seems that the frame is what is in focus, and the scene itself is a bit blurred. But a nice pic anyway.
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:10 AM   #3

The third is a typical lake view of the Haweswater Resevoir. It's a bit hard to tell if it is actually not level, as the sides of the stream are not straight. SHould it be rotated a bit?
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:11 AM   #4

A similar shot.
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:13 AM   #5

Visited Aria Force near Ullswater, and since it was overcast, and I was in under a canopy of trees, it was dark. Perfect opportunity to get the blurred effect, and it worked. Though I couldn't get the full length of the fall.
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:14 AM   #6

On a (typical) rainy overcast day, the rivers burst their banks, and there was lots of flooding. Still got this nice composition, though it's a bit 'dead'.
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:15 AM   #7

This is Grasmere. The reflections were great. Though this shot is a bit dark.
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:16 AM   #8

And finally, another attempt at the water-blurring effect. This pic is really strange as it looks, at first sight, like it is blurred because of camera shake or something. But at the same time, close up, fine elements appear sharp. Any comments?
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:19 AM   #9

To finish off, the A80 is fantastic, the swivel-screen came in useful much more than I had envisaged. The mini tripod was great, ideal for travelling.

One question about focus. I found myself having to re-depress the shutter button on a number of occasions, since the camera would focus on things I didn't want to. Am I right in thinking that most advanced photographers just switch of the intelligent focusing and use the centre frame only, then recompose?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:12 AM   #10

Doesn't anyone want to comment? Oh well. Or maybe everyone thinks 8 replies means it's been read.