Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 27, 2004, 4:34 PM   #11

No purple to be seen on my moniter !

John C
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:35 PM   #12

John, I think your monitor and my monitor both need to be calibrated. I had some friends who are professional photographers check it out on their monitors which are calibrated with h/w and sure enough, they saw purple/blue.

So... I will be buying a Pantone Colorvision Spyder - that's s/w and h/w to help you properly calibrate your monitor. It's important to make sure that what you see is what others will see...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:49 AM   #13

Yep I see it too, purple with a blue cast.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:13 AM   #14

lol, i see it too :-\

but my laptop is at least 2 years old....so it probably needs calibrating...

nice shot

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:16 AM   #15

Thanks for kudos, vito! My monitor is going to get calibrated sometime in the next week or so. The s/w solutions for calibration just don't cut it and I'm going to have to get the sw/hw combo solution.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:51 PM   #16

Well, I don't know !

I have sat here with your picture before me, adjusting everything I can think of, and there is no way I can see any purple !

John C
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 7:53 PM   #17

We're in the same boat, John. Everyone else I've had look at this says they see it. In fact, if I bring the photo into Photoshop and push the color saturation way up I can then see what everyone is talking about too. The point is that almost everyone else I've had look at this are very advanced amateur or professional photographers who are very serious about having their monitors calibrated and calibrated correctly. They see it and I don't. I must be the one whose monitor is at fault. Either that or I am somewhat colorblind which I hope to not be the case!

In case you are interested, I will be buying the MonacoOPTIX-XR monitor calibration product. It's a bit spendy at $270 US but comes with a $50 rebate if bought now. I didn't want to spend money this way but I don't want to post photos that appear good to me and lousy to everyone else...
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:24 PM   #18

Julie, here's one (probable) obvious difference in how your monitor is setup versus how mine is setup... I'll bet that your monitors are set so that their color temperature is the cooler 9300k which shows things up bluer. My monitor has been calibrated at a color temperature of 6500k which is warmer and show things up more to the yellow end of the spectrum. Supposedly, the warmer temperature setting is what your monitor is supposed to be set to if you are doing image proofing (as we are). But, I'm going to check into this a little more...

The temp is measured in degrees kelvin and the higher numbers would be warmer, 6500 is bluer than 9300, opposite of what you stated, is that perhaps what you meant? What do you have the gamma set on your monitor?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:57 PM   #19

I think it is about 1.1
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:30 PM   #20

Julie, do you have a Mac? I think Mac monitors are supposed to be setup for a gamma of 1.8 while Windows PCs should have their monitors setup for a gamma of 2.2.

Tomsch, I got a little confused in your message. Then, I realized that the first paragraph in your message was actually my own words - you were quoting my previous message! :? Once I got past that I was saw your actual reply. I think that you have monitor color temperature a bit backwards - higher degrees Kelvin is cooler and thus bluer and lower degrees Kelvin is warmer and thus yellower. This page explains things a bit more. That's ok - we're all learning here...