Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:14 AM   #21

Well I had that one backwards huh! Better not try to adjust my own monitor, I'll really have it buggered up!

6500K is warmer intone but not in teperature then? is this correct. 9300 is actually warmer but it is white hot which is in the bluer range which is cooler? I better not adjustmanything right now till this makes sense, LOL.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:30 AM   #22

Tomsch, maybe this will help explain things better than I can - the following is a quote from a website at www.3drender.com...

Quote:
So, why do we measure the hue of the light as a "temperature"? This was started in the late 1800s, when the British physicist William Kelvin heated a block of carbon. It glowed in the heat, producing a range of different colors at different temperatures. The black cube first produced a dim red light, increasing to a brighter yellow as the temperature went up, and eventually produced a bright blue-white glow at the highest temperatures. In his honor, Color Temperatures are measured in degrees Kelvin, which are a variation on Centigrade degrees. Instead of starting at the temperature water freezes, the Kelvin scale starts at "absolute zero," which is -273 Centigrade. (Subtract 273 from a Kelvin temperature, and you get the equivalent in Centigrade.) However, the color temperatures attributed to different types of lights are correlated based on visible colors matching a standard black body, and are not the actual temperature at which a filament burns.
And then, here is an even better article that explains things in photographic terms:

http://www.phototechmag.com/previous...ane/lane1.html

I hope you read the above and that it helps - it can be confusing!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:54 AM   #23

Thanks for the link Geoffs, However it states what we've already said but differnt. It is only a confusion factor when you use tone for temp or viceversa. Blue is cooler light that measures higher on the Kelvin scale? Lower temp lights are in the red hue range of what we consider to be warm but are actually cooler on the Kelvin scale in temperature.

If one seperates his scientific mind from the subject and just accept the light for what it is instead of making it conform to a temperature scale[Kelvin].
Old Aug 29, 2004, 1:06 AM   #24

Yep, I hear you tomsch. It is confusing, but we gotta use the vernacular used by everyone else in this area or nobody will know what anybody is talking about.

Lower K is cooler in K but warmer in color
Higher K is hotter in K butcooler in color

Geez, I hope I got that right! :?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 1:12 AM   #25

Yup, you said it, now don't forget that the scale in Kelvin when setting your white balance before converting RAW actually is warmer as you increase temp and bluer or cooler as you decrease temp. But PhotoShop is easy ,right?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:01 AM   #26

I have a windows system, the setting have been left as factory settings. There is no gamma on the moniter just on the video card which is set to 1.1
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:15 AM   #27

Julie, please go to this web page and try and read the less technical sections of it. The Norman Koren website (where the web page is) is quite good. This particular page explains about monitor gamma and how to get your monitor to the proper gamma setting...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:13 AM   #28

just another thought from me . . .

Do these purple patches appear if you print the photos out, Geoffs ?

I will watch with interest to see what your new hardware reveals, but would not be able to invest in anything similar myself.

Incidentally, cooler temperatures/warmer light, etc. - I find it helps to remember that a piece of metal heated up will gradually turn from red through yellow and blue, the hotter it gets. So red relates to cooler temperatures, and blue to hotter ones.

Has anyone seen my struggles to post a couple of pictures in "Hey, I cannot seem to get the hang of this !" ?? Can anyone help?
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:15 AM   #29

Geoffs, all of your photos are fine, even if they look a little different to us. None are ruined or horrid.

I have mine set to 9300 (red 90, Green 81 and blue 80) and I can see the purple. I've only ever attempted to calibrate this monitor (a cheap 17" CRT) after I got worried about all of my images being too dark or that they looked terrible to everyone else. :lol: I couldn't tell if mine needed calibrating or not in the end so gave up. :lol:
Even when I view your picture at 6500 it shows up the purple patches. They seem to be light blobs which are bringing out the purple, rather than purple blobs. Just the sort of thing I'd expect to see on an old scan.

Are you not able to visit the people who you specifically asked to look at this image? Then you can see what they see and also tell you if it's your eyes or your monitor. And can't they come to your house and view your monitor and perhaps set it up?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:07 AM   #30

pjohnc wrote:
Quote:
Do these purple patches appear if you print the photos out, Geoffs ?
John, to be honest with you I haven't tried printing out this particular photo. I guess I was being cheap - I just didn't want to waste the paper and ink until I'd got it so that it wasn't objectionable to others or myself.

Quote:
Has anyone seen my struggles to post a couple of pictures in "Hey, I cannot seem to get the hang of this !" ?? Can anyone help?
I just looked at that thread, John. My first thoughts upon trying to view your photo (and failing, only being able to see a small horizontal strip of sky in each), is that you have not tried to resize your photo down to normal web displayable size. The resolution of each image looks to be the same resolution as came out of your (4mp?) camera. Try resizing the image down to something 640x480 or 800x600, keeping its size down to about 150-200kb, and uploading the image once more.