Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:21 AM   #1

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:00 PM   #2

Beautiful sky shots! I am curious about something, however. Do you have any similar shots without the polarizing filter. It is my understanding that if the sun is directly in front or back of the camera, the filter will have little or no effect. The polarizing filter produces its maximum effect if the sun is 90 degrees to the right or left of the camera.

In the case where the sun is in front or behind the camers, the polarizing filter merely acts as a neutral density filter.

One other thing puzzles me. I thought the Big Sky belonged to Montana! I used to live in Idaho Falls and any mention of big sky usually referred to Montana. Perhaps Montana is now sharing their big sky with Idaho. :-)

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:12 PM   #3

Thanks for commenting Cal.

You may be right. I was getting pretty much the same effect without the filter. I just thought the colors looked a little richer and less sun glare with it.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:19 PM   #4

That is probably just the neutral density effect darkening the image. I am not sure if the exposure is reduced by one or two f-stops.

In any case, the pictures are excellent.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 2:44 PM   #5

I expect you are correct.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I wondered when I was writing the caption about the big sky country slogan. I think it is still just Montana, although as you know we have no shortage of sky here in Idaho.

If you are interested there are some more shots taken with the polarizing filter from the same spot, further down on the posts where I took some shots of some sunflowers in the foreground and the blue sky in the back. I think it is about 10 posts down now on this first page.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 4:34 PM   #6

The filter may have not been fully working, but I think you got some use out of it. It's added depth to the clouds. They wouldn't have the grey bottoms without it I'm sure.

Good emotive pictures, regardless of filter talk zoomn.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:11 PM   #7

Well, zoomn, Montana may be known as the Big Sky, but Idaho has some big sky also! Having lived in Montana and done lots of hiking in the Idaho Bitterroots I can attest to that.

Your polarizer pictures are interesting. I haven't had the chance to play with a polarizer yet but I've been told I should bring one with me on my trip to Israel in October (because of the desert sun).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote