Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:43 PM   #1

After the recent spate of macro "what is it" pictures, here's one a bit different. Most definitely not macro, the main subject of the shot is some quarter of a million miles away.

It had been pissing down all day - biblical quantities of water - but was clearing, and as I went to close teh windows on my way to bed at 1am I saw that msot of the clouds had gone, but a few were still scattered about and were showing up nicely in the nearly full moon. I attempted a few shots before my eyes totally refused to work any more.

The camera went on the tripod and these shots went off around four seconds. And then I looked at what I got and...

Well, what is it? The *moon* is centre picture in amongst the clump of clouds, what is the greenish spherical object upper-right of centre?

http://album.wizards.co.uk/mooncloud.jpg
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:45 PM   #2

I should add, the window was wide open at this time, no glass between the camera lens and the moon.

I also wasn't happy that any of the pictures captured teh effect my eyes were seeing. I need to experiment a lot more with low light and long exposure. Given how slow the clouds were moving, I coudl probably have done a manual "Bracket" with a shot at each of half a dozen or more speeds, but, as I mentioned, I was knackered and heading for bed.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:04 PM   #3

That is lens flare. Since most of the picture is dark and the moon is bright and near the center of the picture, the brightness of the moon is reflecting off one of the lens elements. It is the same thing that happens when you point the camera too close to the sun.

Great shots even with the "ghost" moon.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:28 AM   #4

ccomley wrote:
Quote:
It had been pissing down all day
That made me check your location. Yup, English. :lol:

Although many will agree with calr (because he's right) I'm going to offer up another possibility. I could be Julie's (aladyforty) edit of calr's black garbage can. Take a look.

Julie's edit
calr's original
and the thread on here which contains them both
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 3:59 AM   #5

Cheers Cal - thought it was probably the case but that's the first time I've seen such an effect from something near- or on-axis.

Spooky effect anyway. I better line the windows with aluminium foil tonight just in case...
Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:45 AM   #6

I think it is lens flare.

And ferny, England is not the only place where it Pi**** down with rain. For some reason people seem to think that it does not rain here in Australia. I was checking out some British olympic sites and the poms are whinging that we Aussies only get good results because of our year round great weather. Like our sports people dont train indoors or something:-) UMMMM it is freezing here at the moment, middle of winter, tempreture is 5C, it's been hailing and snow is falling on the mountains 80ks from here:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 7:37 AM   #7

I wasn't referring to the rain, but rather the term. :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:46 AM   #8

One of the things that will confirm lens flare is that the ghost image will be inverted. It it difficult to see in this shot since the moon is overexposed. Several years ago, I did some night shots along the Willamette River in downtown Portland and one of the shots was of a cable crossing sign illuminated by a streetlight. There was an inverted image of the sign in the picture. Kind of creepy, yes?

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:06 AM   #9

ferny wrote:
Quote:
I wasn't referring to the rain, but rather the term. :lol:

Ahhh so it's not just an aussie saying:lol:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote