Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 10, 2004, 4:58 PM   #1

Like the other image I just posted, this image is a blended image - 2 exposures, one for the bright sky exposed to not blow out the sun too badly, the other for the foreground so that it was not completely silhouetted. The images were then combined as separate layers in PSE2 with corresponding portions of each layer erased.

Taken during very early morning...

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2004, 5:13 PM   #2

well done!

how did you blend them?

it looks pretty clean!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 5:33 PM   #3

Thanks, Vito!

I made the blending a bit easier on myself in this shot. I made a compositional decision that the line of trees you see in the MG should remain silhouetted rather than try to bring out any detail in them. As a result, my layer erasing did not have to contend with those yukkie and complicated tree outlines, just the very nice and orderly lines at the edge of the field.

I'm comfortable with the decision I made. What do you think?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 5:46 PM   #4

This is exactly the thing that ive been trying to get right. You see so many people attempt it and getting the foreground to fake and overexposed looking. Thanks for sharing this geoffs.
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 5:57 PM   #5

Hi Mealers! Thank you!

I've done exactly what you described too many times to keep track of. What I find is that if you try to create a selection and do a levels or curves adjusment to just the selection, you will get that fake, overexposed look of the area adjusted relative to the remainder of the image.

Instead, do your levels or curves adjustments to copies of the image that have been made into separate layers. That way, the adjustment is done uniformly to the entire layer and you don't get the too evident demarcation between areas in the image. Then, erase selective portions of the top layer to allow the adjusted bottom layer to show through. If you're careful with unhiding, adjust opactiy of the erase operation or perhaps blending where necessary, you'll get a decent result.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 4:46 PM   #6

WOW! AMAZING!! I love the shot. Its printable worthy! I would print this and hang it up! Nice angle shot too! WELL DONE!

BlackVelvet2004
BlackVelvet2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 4:52 PM   #7

Thank you, BlackVelvet, I appreciate the fact that you appreciated my photo! :-)

Actually, the other photo I posted that was taken during this same early morning session got more attention than this one, but I like them both.

And, yes, they will both be printed...