Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:38 PM   #11

Superb photo, Ohenry...very peaceful.

I did try flipping it (the photo, that is .
Attached Images

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:52 PM   #12

I have a question. How do you know what shutter speed & fstop to put your camera on for pics like these?

I have a G3 and I know Vito has a Gx. I don't know about Vito, but I use the LCD screen for pics like these and it does a decent job at showing me what the lighting is going to be like when I change settings prior to taking the pic.

I know with an SLR, I won't have this luxury. Do you just go off of experience and "guess" what the settings should be and then look at the pic after you take itto adjust the settings if needed?
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:03 PM   #13

yeah, i use the G2's LCD for exposure, i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one

but the SLRwould havethe meter, and that tells you (in different ways according to the company, and possibly the model) how many stops you need to go up or down to get correct exposure...

well..you could "guess" if you have the time for that...but i think the meter-method would work....if you guess using your experience, you could always check out the image on the LCD in the playback mode...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:35 PM   #14

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
I have a question. How do you know what shutter speed & fstop to put your camera on for pics like these?

This is what the exposure meter in the camera is designed to do. It will allow you to get the correct exposure using whichever aperture or shutter speed you wish to work with (provided it is within the acceptable light range). Experience and knowledge will determine when to add or subtract exposure from what the camera tells you. Read the link I provided above. It will explain exactly what I'm speaking about.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 9:37 PM   #15

ohenry,

I finally found time to read your link. Wow ... that's a good article. So you've memorized the entire EV chart as the author suggests right :-) ? I'm going to try memorizing some of it at least as it really seems like it could help under trickly lighting settings if you have an idea of what range you should be in to bracket.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:00 PM   #16

mdparker wrote:
Quote:
So you've memorized the entire EV chart as the author suggests right :-) ?

Nah, there's much easier ways
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote