Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:00 PM   #1

Canon 10D and Canon 17-40 f/4L lens inmanual mode atf/16 and 1/8 second

Attached Images

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:47 PM   #2

oh beautiful! i love shots like these (as you can see from the four threads i started filled with them )

looks like a great little waterfall! good job henry! good exposure..

the trick to slow shutter speed water, is not going overboard, you gotta exposure for the rocks...lol..if the rocks are overexposed, even if the water looks great, the shots won't look good...

you did well here

gj

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:23 PM   #3

Beautiful shot. I love these type picutures too! The exposure looks excellent ant the water has a nice silky effect to it.

Vito,

When you say the trick is to expose for the rock, that makes sense. What is the best way to do this though? Do you set your meter for spot and zoom in on the rocks to get a reading?

mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:28 PM   #4

well...i probably set up exposure wrong, i change the settings until it looks right...lol

which is probably bad because the LCD screen may appear right and is off...

but, if metering is wat i think it is (i've been told, but i'm still confused about how the meter shows you how to expose....if it tells you how many stops you're over/underexposing with the settings you have now...or...)

than yeah, spot meter for the rocks...i think...

heeenry..heeelp....lol.....i've probably been doing the most important thing wrong this whole time (my results aren't terrible...so i can't be that far off...)

well....correct me if i'm wrong henry...about the above statements...

Vito

Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:47 PM   #5

mdparker,

Basically a water shot like this is about equivalent to a landscape. You have the highlights(in the form of the flowing, reflective water) and the shadow/low tones (rocks) the trick is to capture detail in both. I haven't had much sucess myself, but I just got a nice little 50mm 1.8 and I can actually afford a ND filter for it, so I will post something soon.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:26 AM   #6

I tried to give a brief synopsis of metering and exposure, but it ended up being long winded and disjointed. I highly recommend that you read the chapters on exposure and metering in any photography book until you understand them fully. One excellent book that I can recommend is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Here's a link on the web worth reading: http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Thanks for the comments guys!
Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:14 AM   #7

Thank you all for your time. Once again, beautiful shot.

I'll check the link out. Thanks
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:22 AM   #8

thank henry...

but the only thing i don't know....is how the meter expresses the data it finds....

i do remember something with my dad's old SLR...where it had lights in the viewfinder, that you (i think) had to change the settings to make the lights go from red to green....

would that be the in camera meter's way of telling me that i need to stop up or down? the lights?

my camera, in full manual mode, shows wat looks like exposure compensation....but i wonder if it's the meter,(i mean why would there be exposure compensation automatically going in manual mode?) telling me how far i'm off good exposure on the subject that's in the center box (my camera doesn't have spot metering! lol!)..

you know wat..i'm gonna email canon....

save you guys time...

thanks for the link, henry, but, other than stuff i would learn by USING a meter, i know pretty much everything else...lol..how it works, wat it's doing, weird tendencies it has......but i don't know how it expresses exposure...

Vito
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:27 AM   #9

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
thank henry...

but the only thing i don't know....is how the meter expresses the data it finds....

Read your manual! :blah: Seriously, each camera's system will be a bit different. My meter uses a bar and ticks method. When the meter is exposed to the camera's idea of exposure, the bar will be centered. In manual mode, you only need to change the bars position to compensate. In auto modes, you would use the EV compensation to change the amount of over or underexposure you want.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:19 AM   #10

wow....why didn't i think of that...

thanks henry!

ok...i'm good for exposure and such now

Vito