Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:50 PM   #1

hey all!

Thanks for taking a look at my picture. Any replies are more than welcome. I just got the canon s500. I'm new to picture taking. Any feedback on the picture would be great. The pic was taken on the max resolution and size settings without the flash. I used the MS windows XP power tweak to resize it so thatI could post it here. I would love to learn more about taking great pics!

thanks!

-Toliv:-)
Attached Images

toliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 4:44 AM   #2

welcome, not a bad shot for first go. Nice shot.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 2:46 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you.

Very nice colors. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Just a little work of advise, when using the XP tweak for resizing. Resize down to 640x480. This will help out those using dial-up a bit. Plus user's with a smaller screen resolution will not have to scroll as much.

Nice shot though.:|

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:36 PM   #4

Thanks! I'll post 640x480 next time.Whats a good book to read? How can I take better pictures?
toliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 3:56 PM   #5

Toliv

One piece of advice I'll offer is to try to avoid placing the horizon of your picture in the center of the shot. Using the scroll bar, I mentally cropped off the lower 1/3 of the shot and it's a very effective composition to my eyes. I like the subdued colors and overall atmosphere of the shot. Keep posting!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:31 PM   #6

ohenry wrote:
Quote:
Toliv

One piece of advice I'll offer is to try to avoid placing the horizon of your picture in the center of the shot. Using the scroll bar, I mentally cropped off the lower 1/3 of the shot and it's a very effective composition to my eyes. I like the subdued colors and overall atmosphere of the shot. Keep posting!
I think ohenry is dead right.

When I first looked at this shot that handrail seemed far too dominant. Crop itas ohenry suggests and you can really concentrate on that beautiful sky.

John
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:36 PM   #7

nice job! i think that this photo is as much for the rail as it is for the sky. I like the way the rail gives sense of distance and perspective. The horizon although it is in the centre,and the general advice would be to use the rule of thirds,in this case imo it works because the rail devides the photo in vertical thirds . may be a small crop at the bottom as ohenru suggested would work a bit better.

pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:42 PM   #8

I guess Pavaros and me were both typing at the same time, and two quite different opinions !

Oh well, what works for one . . . :-)
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:48 PM   #9

yes you re right pjohnc:lol:, it is the second time that it happens to me, it happened again yesterday but that time i was typing the exact same comment and posted the same image manipulation with someone else.
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:09 PM   #10

I agree Pavaros. The handrail is an essential element in this shot and should not be lost which is why I suggested cropping just a portion off the bottom as I did. You still have the element of the handrail leading away from you and the horizon is downplayed rendering the pleasing colors of the sky. This comment, like most comments about a photograph, is just a suggestion and isn't concrete factual must-do or it fails rule. People see different things when they view a photograph or art and what pleases one eye screams out at another. You were drawn to the rail, just as I was. We just saw the dominance differently
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote