Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:57 PM   #11

Hi John;

As best I can tell, my ancestors may be of the same clan near Avebury. There is a little village named West Overton, almost in sight of Silbury Hill. We stopped by West Overton when we drove by, but it was closed. Seriously, we didn't see a single person in the whole town.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 3:15 PM   #12

Small world isn't it ? My wife Jo was brought up on a farm near Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire, no more than 15 miles from West Overton! The first time I went to visit her we went for a walk around Avebury :love:.

I have a couple more Lake District scans to share, if I am not getting tedious ! The first is a typical house in a very remote spot.
Attached Images

pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 3:19 PM   #13

. . . and this one was a surprise grab-shot when the light suddenly turned brighter over Derwentwater toward the end of a very damp and murky day. It was handheld using the longer end of a 70-210 zoom, and has been cleaned up with Neat Image
Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2004, 4:39 PM   #14

Hi John;

Yes, it is a small world (after aaallll!!!) Thanks for the shots. What a marvelous place! I can't imagine anyone rushing in those shots. Unlike here... I have to rush off tonight to the first rehearsal of Evita. Theatre Alive (www.theatrealive.com) is putting on the Rice/Lloyd Webber classic in March. (I'm the musical director) I guess the next six months are going to be busy. I hope I have time for some photographs.

Wish me luck.

Regards,

Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:30 PM   #15

<<<<and my favorite Aussie author is Tim Winton. Just to keep on topic, he writes like a photograph.>>>>>>>>>>

SMALL WORLD, my husband went to high school with Tim Winton who was always "ARTY" so hubby says, now our kids study Tims books as part of English:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:34 PM   #16

<<<<<<<<Where did your family come from, Julie? I was born in Coventry in 1956>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Portsmouth, and Salisbury, Nana lived in Cornwall for a while (shes out here with us now and is 98, went through the two world wars and has some great stories). I have relatives in Wales, London and cant remember the other places. Oh and an Aunt used to have a beautiful property on the "Ill of white (spell???)"
Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:58 PM   #17

and while we are talking about England, I thought I might share these shots. Ive been restoring and coloring old B/W photos for months. These are all taken in England and for me they speak for themselves. They say there is a story behind every photo.

this first one makes me sad. My mother is the little girl back row left, she was seven and this photo is with her sister and two brothers and was taken the day they were sent out into the country during WW2. The expressions say it all.

this one is my Father who was in the British Air force, this is in Portsmouth in 1953 I think

And this one is my oldest sister with Dad on the beach in "Devon", taken about four years before my Parents left England.

Ive enjoyed coloring these as Ive found out more about my Family history this way.

Pjohnc, hope you dont mind that I high-jacked your thread.

Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:12 PM   #18

Julie, these are wonderful shots. They are more than just snapshots, they are glimpses of a world, sad and wonderful, thousands of miles from your home, but next to your heart. If that's not art, I don't know what is.

Bless you.

John, thanks for the thread.

Regards,

P.S. I've read both The Riders and Dirt Music several times. Tim's writing moves deep within the human soul.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:47 PM   #19

Tom, Ive read a couple of Tims books "In the winter dark" which weve always thought was based on an area about 200ks from me called "Manjimup" where the story goes from locals that a panther still roams the area that got out from a circus. That book scared the heck outa me.

Ive read the riders. Ive also looked through a book of photos of our state in his name but Im not sure if he took the shots. He lives up near coral bay as far as I know which is about 800ks from me.

Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:29 AM   #20

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:

Pjohnc, hope you dont mind that I high-jacked your thread.

Not at all, Julie, I have enjoyed looking at your pictures. What terrible days those war days must have been!! My parents both lived through the great air-raid on Coventry in November 1940. They were aged 6 & 9 at the time. They lived on the outskirts of the city so were not subjected to the hottest of the action, but still had some bombs drop very close. I can remember there still being a crater not far from my grandparents garden when I was little.

<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<Oh and an Aunt used to have a beautiful property on the "Ill of white (spell???)">>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This made me smile! I looked at it for several seconds before the penny dropped - :idea:the Isle of Wight !!

I am so glad that this thread has given pleasure to you as well as myself. Lets hope it is not dead yet . . .:-)