Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:12 AM   #1

Tom, in another thread you wrote, "Just a side note to others out there... I would love to see some pictures of the stone fences in the north of England, say the lake district."

I have been looking through some old slides, and here are three that I have scanned for you. The quality of the scans is not brilliant, but I hope you will enjoy the pics.

In the first the walls are distant, but you can see the distinctive pattern on the hillsides.
Attached Images

pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:17 AM   #2

This shows myself, my wife Joanna, and family resting in front of a fine wall. This was taken twelve years ago so we all look a bit older now !
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:20 AM   #3

Finally, for now, a couple of sheep in Patterdale. This shot appeals to me though I am not sure that it follows all the rules. I'd be interested to know what others think.
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:05 AM   #4

Very beautiful scenes. Wonderful photos.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:27 AM   #5

great shots, my relatives live in UK and my parents went back a couple of years ago and went to Yorkshire, I took note of these kinds of scenes in their photos, lovely. reminds me of the tv show "heartbeat":-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the compliments, Phil and Julie. I don't know whether Tom has seen them yet.

Those three were all taken in the Lake District. It is a very beautiful area, very different scenery to what we have here in Norfolk, though I love this county too. It is a six hour drive to the Lakes, but we try to do it occasionally.

This shot, another slide scan,was taken in the Yorkshire Dales. Hope you enjoy!
Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:21 AM   #7

pjohnc wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, Phil and Julie. I don't know whether Tom has seen them yet.

Those three were all taken in the Lake District. It is a very beautiful area, very different scenery to what we have here in Norfolk, though I love this county too. It is a six hour drive to the Lakes, but we try to do it occasionally.

This shot, another slide scan,was taken in the Yorkshire Dales. Hope you enjoy!

Sorry, John... I've been asleep at the wheel.

Those shots bring back memories. I remember taking a self-guided hike near Windermere. One of the most beautiful scenes in my memory. We looked much the same as your family; bundled up with knapsacks, the kids actually not complaining for once. :roll:

I love all the shots, but the last two really appeal to me. You can only guess how old these walls are... The last one needs some mending; a few stones in place for another century.

Thank you. You made my day. I'll have to get back there some day.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Edit - a half-hour later... Actually I think I like the first shot best.

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:34 AM   #8

lovely shots, I hope to travel over to Uk one day, Parents and older brother and sister born there, Mum and Dad emigrated to Australia in 1958 and I was born here the following year. Parents have been back for holiday twice and always head up to Yorkshire, looks lovely.

Tom, funny enough, my parents were tossing up between Australia and Canada when they left England. Canada looks a great place and it's always been an ambition of mine to see the rockies:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:55 AM   #9

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Tom, funny enough, my parents were tossing up between Australia and Canada when they left England. Canada looks a great place and it's always been an ambition of mine to see the rockies:-)
Hi Julie;

I'm going to the Rockies next summer. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures for you. I'm afraid we won't be doing much hiking, but I hope to get up to Abbott's pass. (my wife had a bad accident in January, and isn't much of a walker anymore)

My best friend's wife has family in Darwin. (She was born in Ireland) Oh... and my favorite Aussie author is Tim Winton. Just to keep on topic, he writes like a photograph.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:32 PM   #10

I have only had one holiday in Yorkshire, and that was when Foot and Mouth disease was raging among the livestock, so our movements were severely restricted.

My first experience of the Lake District was at age 16 I hitch-hiked up there for a back-packing holiday with three friends. This was my first holiday away from parents, and I had always been brought up on "sunbathing on the beach" holidays. I thought the Lake District was FANTASTIC !! Have been back several times since.

I am pleased that you have enjoyed these pics and hope you, Julie,get the opportunity to see for yourself someday, and that Tom can revisit.

Where did your family come from, Julie? I was born in Coventry in 1956, and lived there until we 'escaped' to Norfolk eight years ago.

Later addition: I have never been out of Britain and generally speaking am quite content to stay here. This small island has such tremendous varietyand there is so much I have never yet seen here. HOWEVER, one place that I should also like to see is the Rockies. I do not imagine that I ever shall, but I look forward to seeing your photos, Tom.

Regards, John