Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:07 PM   #1

:? We have had a really bad ice storm here in Kansas and the tree limbs and plants have an unusually large build up on them. I would like to photograph the landscape and wondered if any of you could make suggestions on how to make the ice really stand out on the tree limbs. I wondered if a polarizer would be useful. The world out here is pretty much a gray/white. Not bright, very cloudy and overcast if that helps.

Thanks for your help This is the greatest site ever.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:13 PM   #2

It might be tough to get a lot of contrast into your shots if it is as grey as you say. Keep checking your histogram and try out different settings and exposures to get better contrast into the shot. A histogram where the majority (or all) of the peaks sit in the centre with nothing to the right or left is the way to tell if the scene is lacking in contrast.

If that doesn't work you might be able to try using a hand-torch as a spotlight to create a few shadows and highlights.

I was taking a few pics of snowy landscapes on 24th decand I found the camera struggling to get a good exposure - a lot came out too dark or too bright. You might want to try exposure bracketing to get shots right out of the camera instead of messing around with image editors later.

Take a lot of shots of the same scenes using different exposure settings, focus points, etc. That way you stand a better chance of getting the one good shot instead of wishing you had only used a wider aperture, higher ISOor longer shutter speed, etc, etc, etc..........

Oh and bring along a tripod, if it gets dull or overcast it would be the only way to get those long exposures!

Can't think of anything else right now, will let you know if I can come up with any more though!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:04 PM   #3

Ok...here is a series taken to show a few samples. First of all...you have to have a tripod for the low light. Second of all, if you can, run, don't walk out when the sun peeks out for a brief second and put it behind the ice, but partially blocked by your branch.

I wanted to try a flashlight on the backside because of the dim light, but no one would stand out there in the cold with me while I clicked away from the top of a tippy ladder :G.

Anyway, shot 1: very overcast, no flash:
Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:04 PM   #4

Next...flash added...no other changes...
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:06 PM   #5

Next, edits: (I'm just using Photoshop Elements 2.0 and I've only been using it for a few months so this is my best try...)

-contrast

-slight levels adjustment

-hue reduced slightly

-saturation increased slightly

Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:09 PM   #6

Finally, to bring out the ice, I tried:

-diffuse glow, white

-adjust backlighting - slightly darker

I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but at least you have a look at some ideas.

Good luck. Post what you have. We are still up to our eyeballs in ice here and it sounds like it is going to get worse over the next three days.

Maybe someone else with the experience and tools can show golfer the real way to do this...I'd love to see some other approaches.

:-)WI GIRL

PS...I didn't clone out anything or crop for a reason...I was trying to keep the focus on the vine and ice
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:21 PM   #7

Sorry to post again, but I just found this cool filter called Lens Flare and tried that. Man, sometimes I think it will take years just to find all the stuff in Elements, let alone move on to the real Photoshop.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:48 PM   #8

Thanks, Wisconsongirl and Redundo. The storm came and we have been without elect power the past 3 days. Just came on this evening. I tried several ways, wasn't able to see your responses till just now. I may be able to apply some of them tomorrow.

Will update you on how thngs go.:-)
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:39 AM   #9

Hey Golfer. I live in Blue Springs, MO. I'm just east of K.C. MO. I'm sorry to hear about your power. It sure is cold. I didn't have any power problems but I work for the B.S. School District and we had 6 buidlings without power. I'll be out at Jacomo park later today taking some pictures of the ice covered tree's. Nice to know there's someone close to me on these boards.

Gavin
toothlesrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:59 PM   #10

Hey rooster: Our electricity has been on and off so much today [about 5 minutes at a time] I was afraid to start the computer. It's nearly 7PM here in Wichita. We just found there are about 140,000 people without in this area, not couting rural areas so add another 75,000 for that. We got it pretty bad here. I took over 200 pics furing the storm so it will be interesting to see what we came up with. I will try to share with you guys some of the better ones.

I am familiar with the Blue Springs area, hope you guys didn't get his as hard. Let me know if you got some good pics from the park. If you had ice like us, there are plenty of opportunities.

Nice to meet you, hope we can review shots in the future.