Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:32 PM   #1

Hi guys, while some of you are experiencing blizzards and snow, sunny SA is in the middle of summer, here are a couple of pics after a GOOD afternoon shower

[the files are only 50 odd kB,s but seem to be a bit large in perspective, complaints are welcome]
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:33 AM   #2

Both pictures do show some good cloud formations, but to me, there shouldnt be that much sky in the picture. I like the tree trunk in the first photo, so maybeshifting focus onto that with the cloud formation inthe backdrop?
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments Clem, i do see your point there. i do have another pic with the log, perhaps a better perspective, only, I should have used a bit of flash to get some detail [wood grain]on the end of the log, and less exposure. I have tried a bit of PS, but it looks false. anyway, here is the pic [without the PS] Hindsight is always better, and I suppose that is how we learn - Regards

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:28 PM   #4

I like both of the pictures because in the moment of capturing the atmospherethe sky was probably very important for the photographer. Again, I like both of them.
jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:32 PM   #5

i think the 3rd one is much better than the first. I personally prefer not to use a flash. Have you heard or Ansel adam's exposure technique? or at least i think it was adam's when i read it. Anyway, the basic rule is that you use your TTL meter to catch an exposure reading of the target you want to capture in detail. For example, the stump of the log. Now the camera will give you a recommended F-Stop (say it gave Shutter 1/2000 Aperture 4.5) This reading will put the stump at neutral on the grey scale (5 out of 10.But because the stump is the darkest thing in the picture, you will want to lower the exposure by 2-3 F-stops making it (3 out of 10). This will allow it to still give detail to the stump and give it a good exposure. Do you understand what i just said? (I read it again, and i can't really understand what i just said) :lol:

clem
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:50 PM   #6

You are referring to the Zone system.. Used primarily for contrast and exposure latitude control. Or at least the exposure part of it. In a nutshell what you are saying is expose for the shadows (2 or 3 stops below neutral gray which is what all meters read) and process for the highlights. The idea is to make sure you have as much detail as you want in the shadow areas without blowing out the highlights. If you want to make Sure you have proper exposure, use a gray card. Yes, Ansel Adams is most noted for developing and using the system.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote