Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1

Feeback welcome, novice at work. (1600ISO! Does it ruin shot?)

Edit: Tried to get rid of haloing...
Attached Images

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:54 PM   #2

High ISO doesn't necessarily ruin a picture, but it does need to ba handled carefully. With any camera, but especially with digital, high ISO causes noise in your shot. There are lots of excellent programs that deal with ISO noise, but it takes a little bit of work to make things come out right. I use Neat Image, which is highly rated, but I still find that things don't always come out the way I want them to.

You have quite a nice looking shot here, despite the noise in the sky. The silhouette effect is very nice. I don't know what kind of camera you are using, but it looks as though it has some built-in noise/sharpening algorythms. (see the little halos around the fine details) Sometimes these work, but often they are better handled on your computer.

Generally I find the best practice is to shoot with the lowest ISO that conditions will allow. Of course, a lot depends on your taste and needs.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:04 PM   #3

Thanks Tom for the reply.

I'm using a Nikon D70. I'm still learning to use it, so I can't really address how much noise reduction was done in-camera. I can tell you I used PSP 9 's internal noise reduction, which I'm sure isn't as good as Neat Image since I've seen folks recommend N.I. that I know use PSP.

That's really the first time I've done the noise reduction. I had the camera on auto ISO and it was way late in the day and I was hand holding the camera with afairly heavy lense (not too bad, though). I do see the halos you mentioned, and might see if I can adjust the noise filter to get rid of them.

I much prefer faster iso settings. I'm usually in the 200-400 range. That might be my first 1600 ever, and since it was pretty noisey before processing I thought it might be a good test for the software.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4

Tom,

If you stop back by, see if the haloing is better. Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:28 PM   #5

Where was that photo taken? Looks like the pine barrens.

The problem you have is exactly why I prefer taking photos with a bright, blue sky as background. I can shoot at lower ISOs (usually 50).

This is a photo I took of a trail in Rocky Point with my Canon A75.

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote