Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:56 PM   #1

A picture taken yesterday from Bowness on Windermere looking towards Fairfield over the lake. I think the sky with the snowcapped peaks gives it a very moody feel.
Attached Images

The Tadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:12 PM   #2

Very nice shot :-). Like the blue tone to it . . how must post proc was done, if any?

Oops - no need to answer this - I just saw the second description line stating right out of the camera.
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:16 PM   #3

hi tadge..

looks like a nice picture you got there. good composition.

one thing though, the picture looks a little washed out. try playing with it a little.

good effort,
bert
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:12 PM   #4

Nicely done, tadge.

Welcome to the forum
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:16 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments folks, i appreciate them.

Bert, you suggestit's a little washed out. I find when using my camera ( Canon A80 ) it tends to wash out the sky a little in some situations. I think this has been mentioned in reviews. Would you like to do one or two tweaks on it and let me know what you have done. Just to show a novice in the digital darkroom the sort of thing you mean.

Thanks in advance

The tadge

Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:41 PM   #6

Hi Tadge;

I hope you don't mind that I messed around a bit with your shot. Lake Windermere is such a special memory for our family, and your shot brings so much of that back to me.

What I did with this shot is:

1) I set the white and black points using a levels adjustment layer. I suppose I should have tweaked the greys as well, but I was just playing around.

2) I overlaid a medium blue gradient layer to emphasize the blue in the sky and the water.

3) I enhanced local contrast using USM set to 20, 60, 4.

4) Then I played around with a contrast mask in the hills and trees... a simple and effective trick I learned at www.luminous-landscape.com .

I hope you like this first attempt... With alittle more time(this took about 2 minutes) you can bring out some stunning details in your shot.

regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078

Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:44 PM   #7

Hi Tom,
No problem at all with the tweaking. A nice bit of adjustment for only 2 minutes work. I will try some myself.

Glad you enjoyed the image. I have quite a few others if you would like me to send you a few let me know and its no problem.

Great link to the website by the way, very interesting.

Regards

the tadge.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:24 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Hi The Tadge,

It's a nice shot but I have the feeling that when you were there the image you wanted to get was probably a lot bigger.

You could try a panorama/photo stich job with multiple photos.

This kind of landscape photography is very difficult - to make people who weren't there actually see what you saw instead of just giving them enough information to imagine what you saw.

I think a general rule for landscapes is try not to split the frame in half. Here you almost do that - water gets half the frame and sky the other half and it's very hard to take a good shot like that unless there's something else compelling in the frame, which there isn't here.

I did a crop to illustrate - removed most of the water (I think we still know there is lots of water out of frame) because I thought the sky was more interesting, also removed some of the left hand edge where the sky wasn't interesting and a bit dark.

Regards,
Craig
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:49 AM   #9

Hi Craig,

Much better. The crop shows the image to far better effect. As you say i have too much water in the foreground. Your adjustment improves the overall effect.

Thank youvery much for the tip.

By the way how do you get the image to appear on the forum page rather than as a link. I have tried but not had much luck.

Regards

the tadge.

Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:47 AM   #10

Nice shot, but I just don't believe it was that blue! (Still less, Tom's version...)

Colour temperature in the evening is warmer than at midday and if your cam was on a daylight or auto white balance setting, it will have tended to overdo the blue tones a bit.

Here's a version where I've used PSP to adjust the colour temp to 5000K rather than the 6500K of midday light. Of course, you might like the moody blues....

Attached Images

fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote