Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:08 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Someone's house - has been occupied for at least the 10 years I've been passing this point.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:11 AM   #2
Super Moderator

A geometric shot.

Comments welcome as always.

Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:41 AM   #3
kex

really nice shots!

I especially like the 2nd one.

but I think they're too wide. 900 px width make me need to scroll to the side to see the picture.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4

You have quite a house full of wall to wall furniture there, Craig, rather unique !!

They're both good; a question maybe you can help with :- the few B&W's I have done seem to be "bland", even though I have changed contrast in various ways. there must be a way to make the black and white seem just that, instead of shades of grey, WITHOUT LOOSING DETAIL [something to pursue]

Regards from a "cooling down" SA [actually the best season of the year now, days are quite warm [26-32 celcius], nights are cool enough to not turn on the airconditioning, skys are BIG and blue [is that enough now to make you dream of Africa??]

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Jake,

The best way I've found so far in Photoshop CS.

1. In the RAW capture turn sharpening and noise reduction down to zero, adjust exposure and colour temp. till you're happy, and maybe boost the shadows and saturation a bit.

2. Do capture sharpening and flatten.

3. Add an adjustment layer for Channels, select the monochrome checkbox. Now adjust the R,G,B channels keeping the sum of the 3 at around 100%. Look to get the maximum detail without blowing highlights or overexposing anything.

4. Add an adjustment layer for Levels. Drag in the outside sliders if there is any part of the dynamic range that's not being used. Then adjust the middle slider till you get the detail you want.

5. Add an adjustment layer for Brightness/Contrast, usually if you've done the previous steps well then you will only need a minor contrast adjustment.

6. If you're happy then flatten all the layers and save the psd.

7. Convert to 8 bit mode.

8. Adjust the size & do any framing for jpgs, etc.

9. Run the output sharpener.

10. Print or Save As jpg.

I'm enjoying London very much and looking forward to all those sunny summer evenings where we have hours of good light, assuming of course it's not raining.

I expect to be back in SA around October and am really looking forward to getting out to take some photos. I think I'd like to head up to the Magaliesburg and the Caldera. Perhaps the "Cradle of Humankind" as well. Perhaps I can even head up your way and we can hook up. :-)
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:02 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, I will give the process a bash. Sure, if you decide to come this way, I'll give you my contact details, it will be great to catch up.

Cheers/Totsiens/SalaniKahle !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote