Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:59 AM   #11

First - VERY nice photo!

I've always liked sunrise and sunset photos and used to shoot many with my FILM slr!

Since moving over to digital, I've heard mixed stories on damaging the CCD with sunrise or sunset photos. But with so many posted on this site, I'm beginning to wonder !!!

I'm looking for advice, knowledge, recommendations, etc. on shooting sunrise, sunset, or sunlight thru the trees type photos AND possible ccd/cmos damage.

Thanks,

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:13 AM   #12

bob_ledyard wrote:
Quote:
First - VERY nice photo!

I've always liked sunrise and sunset photos and used to shoot many with my FILM slr!

Since moving over to digital, I've heard mixed stories on damaging the CCD with sunrise or sunset photos. But with so many posted on this site, I'm beginning to wonder !!!

I'm looking for advice, knowledge, recommendations, etc. on shooting sunrise, sunset, or sunlight thru the trees type photos AND possible ccd/cmos damage.

Thanks,

Bob

Hey Bob,

I don't know about the "advice, knowledge, recommendations, etc.", cause I still consider myself very early in my photography experience. I have only been into itfor about a year now, and started with digital. So that being said, I'll share what type camera I use (Kodak DX6490) and filters (55mm UV and Cir POL). I KEEP my UV filter on all the time if for no other reason that to filter scratches off my camera's lense... I've heard some say that helps from damage to the sensor, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure or not. I also leave my POL filter on most of the time and either 'dial-in' the polarizing affect or use it as an ND filter whatever I want for the shot. I have taken a few sunset pictures and a few 'sun-rays in trees' shots all without getting any image sensor damage. I remember removing my POL filter for this shot cause I was trying to get the most light and color I could for this shot. Something else I do when taking "into the sun" shots is I keep re-framingor composing to keep from the sun hitting the same part of the sensor every shot I take. I mean I take some horizontally, the a few vertically, then frame with the sun on the left, right, top, and bottom of the shot. I may be kidding myself in my 'sensor damage prevention techniques', but it IS something I'm fearful of doing to my camera. One more tidbit; I've taken close to 2000 shots with this camera, and easily 100-200 were 'into the sun shots' doing the things I do (again which MAY NOT help at all), and so far, knock on wood, no damage.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable and experienced members can help with real advice, I just wanted to share MY experience with you in the HOPES that MAYBE it does help. Thanks for looking at my photo, and commenting on it. I hope I helped.

Thanks,

Dave...
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 7:57 AM   #13

Dave - your pic is beautiful, really epitomises what photography is all about for me.

Keep em coming.
lhtorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:06 AM   #14

lhtorrie wrote:
Quote:
Dave - your pic is beautiful, really epitomises what photography is all about for me.

Keep em coming.
...again, many thanks, you're very kind...

Dave...
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:45 AM   #15

great shot Dave!

-michael-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:46 AM   #16
Super Moderator

dave..

spot on exposure and a good composition.. i'd crop a bit off the bottom the just bit of whatever in the lower left do not add anything, plus brining the weeds in the water closer will make them a better foreground presence.. actually the foreground could use a little more, but thats nitpicky.. overall great job...

best regards,

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:41 AM   #17

DaveN wrote:
Quote:
Hope no one's tired of this subject, cause I can look at them all the time...
I don't think any of us will get tired of shots like that, really great one :!:

Nice to see someone using the same camera as me as well :-) I'm just jealous that we never seem to get sunsets like that around here

All the best, John.

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Hope no one's tired of this subject

NEVER, Dave - This shot really has it all - great foreground detail, excellent colors, great composition, altogether Awesome - KEEP THEM COMING !!!!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:20 PM   #19

Thank you very much again guys for the great feedback.I appreciate it. This is one of my favorite shots.

Dave...