Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:20 AM   #1

Here's three pictures taken at my local nature reserve (Lopwell Dam, Devon, UK). There's a kind of evolution in the composition and viewpoint here, so any comments are welcomed as usual.

The first picture was taken the last autumn, on the first time I found this viewpoint. Excellent lighting and reflections, just a pity about the mud...

The problem with this location is that the river is tidal here (and there are some really big tidal ranges here in the SW of the UK), so unless the tide is absolutely fully in you do get a whole lot of mud on the river banks. On the other hand the mud is really good news for wading birds (and the folks who like to watch them :-) ).

The thing is the chance of getting the lighting just right, the tide fully in, and the refections and weather conditions all just right at the same time are pretty much nil, so I guess this is a subject I'm going to keep comming back to until I get the image I see in my minds eye!
Attached Images

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:23 AM   #2

Now onto the second view, taken mid-winter this time, and with the glow of the setting sun illuminating the scene.

Not such a good viewpoint this time 'cos you get the car park and other man-made stuff in the scene, but with the sun shining like this, who cares?
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:29 AM   #3

And now the final image, this time back to the first viewpoint, and a panoramic scene taken last weekend.

Not such good lighting this time, and the water was choppy as well, so I've used repeated applications of small-radius gaussian blur over the water to produce a sort of artificial long-exposure effect. At least that was the hope.

Anyway, I think this is the roughly the composition I want, but with conditions more like that first picture.

What can I say, except I want it all :?

Regards, John.
Attached Images