Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 3, 2005, 3:01 PM   #1

This is a spot I have visited many times throughout my life, hoping that perhaps someday I might be able to capture the feeling of serenity that I experience there. This shot almost got everything that I wanted. It was taken last fall, in the middle of a drought, so the water level was extremely low and somewhat disappointing. But I like the image quite a bit anyway.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

Hello jphess! Great photo! I envy you, that is one beautiful place!!!!!

Bob H.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:04 PM   #3

Me likes! Very well done.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 8:53 PM   #4

VERYnice shot! i can see why you like the place! i wonder how it'd look with a little more contrast between sky and landscape, like you'd get with a polarizer...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:44 PM   #5

That is a fantastic photo. It looks very serene, and almost looks like a painting.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:00 PM   #6

The colors are great. So is the reflection.

My only nit is the mountains just don't have the detail. You may be able to fix this with a polarizer, or maybe taking two shots. One with the correct settings for the mountains & sky, and the other for the landscape. Then you could combine these two images to get that "perfect shot."

Overall, IMHO, this is a great shot that deserves to be printed and framed on your wall. Great job.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 9:36 AM   #7

I appreciate the kind comments and the suggestions. It's obvious from the picture, but I must say that I'm not a professional photographer. The light has always given me a challenge when I have gone to the Tetons to take pictures. On this particular day I was so discouraged with the light quality. There was a blue haze that prevailed over everything. The only camera I had was my little 5 MP Pentax camera that doesn't accept any kind of filters. I was so disappointed with the light that I only took about 30 images the entire day. When I got home and started examining those images with Photoshop, I was amazed at what I was able to pull out of them.

I agree that the contrast could be greater. But when I tried that, I blew out the highlights in some of the clouds. So, with my limited editing knowledge, this seemed to be the best compromise I could come up with.

As far as hanging the picture on the wall is concerned, I have had a 20x30 made and I am in the process of having it mounted and framed now.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:41 AM   #8

Please forgive the hijacking of your very attractive pic. I couldn't resist a tweak to try to give it some of the effect a polarizer might have had.

For those interested, this was done with Paint Shop Pro, together with some Nik utilities.

Attached Images

fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 10:59 AM   #9

That is a very striking rendering of the image. Personally, I was trying to maintain some detail in the dark trees and bushes in the lower left hand corner of the photograph while bringing out as much detail as I could in the clouds and the mountain. And, believe it or not, a lot of the blue haze has been removed in my original post image. But, I agree, your version has some merit.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:33 PM   #10

Absolutely fantastic shot, jphess! Where exactly is this magnificient place?

P.S. You know what would be really great? Next time you visited this absolutely beautiful place take some shots for a panoramic photo. I would really love to see the rest of it. :G
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote