Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 27, 2005, 3:49 PM   #1

cross-post from the Panasonic forum... this is the sleeping giant we live with here in the Puget Sound area of Washington. it's considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world because of its history and its proximity to now-densely populated areas. from where this was taken, about 50 miles away, it seems benign enough, but if the lid came off and the wind was blowing the wrong way...

of course, it can be deadly even without volcanic activity... they just recovered the bodies of 2 climbers who were killed on the mountain when a freak storm blew up. they died of exposure....
Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

Hi Squirl033

what is the attraction to live so close beside a powder barrel? Are 50 miles far away not safe enough?
Otto
Otto Behrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 9:36 PM   #3

same reason people live on the flanks of Kiluaea or Pompeii... they like it here! Rainier hasn't let off a big one for about 300 years, so when this area was settled, few people even knew it was a volcano. in any case, 50 miles is far enough to be safe from pyroclastic clouds or lahars,although the ash could be a real problem if the wind were blowing the wrong way. fortunately for me, i live on the upwind side, so the odds of anything landing in my yard would be exceedingly remote.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote