Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:36 AM   #1

HI,

This was taken with a Nikon D70 and the kit lens. Still learning butI would appreciate advice and tips how to bring the best out of this photo. Attached are 2 photos.

Original (just converted to jpg from RAW and resized for the web)

Attached Images

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:38 AM   #2

This is the same photo with some adjustments that I made in Photoshop CS2 - What do you think ?

Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3

Good work Jaco. IMHO, the light in this scene makes for a tough shot. The bright spot on the left fooled the camera into underexposing your shot, and thus the detail in the shadow was lost. However, if you are shooting in RAW, you can probably adjust the shadows to bring out more detail. But to be honest with you, I really don't think there is a lot you can do to fix this picture. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about the light available. If you live in the SF area, you can probably come back again. If you really want this scene, maybe you can try shooting it at sunrise where the sun would hit the bridge on the east side, or I guess you could go over to the Marin headlands and shoot the westside of the bridge at sunset. However, I'll leave this to the other members who are more familiar with photography in the SF area. Just my two cents. I hope I wasn't harsh

Hoooba
http://www.pbase.com/ihabh
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:22 PM   #4

I think you will get much better shot of the bridge in the evening from marin headlands side.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:40 PM   #5

I pushed it a little harder with Photoshop and got a little more detail from the bridge, but it introduced some additional color noise that might be objectionable to some. I hope the difference will be noticeable on my changes.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:43 AM   #6

Hi jaco - You could try a bit of contrast masking - this method keeps the highlights intact, almost untouched, whilst adding detail to tghe shadow areas

1] Create a Duplicate Layer ( Layer / Duplicate Layer) and name it Mask

2] Desaturate the Mask Layer. (Image / Adjustments / Desaturate)

3] Invert the Mask layer (Image / Adjustments / Invert)

4] Click on the Mask layer thumbnail and select Overlay Blending Mode

5] Enlarge the image to 100% and look at the horizon line or other high contrast area. This is important for the next step.

6] Use Gaussian Blur to reduce resolution degradation of the image by the mask, yet at the same time avoid halos on sharp contrast boundaries such as skylines. (Filter / Blur / Gaussian Blur). Low amounts are usually best. [I have found high amounts also work well sometimes]
7] Adjust Opacity as desired. (Click on the Mask Layer thumbnail and use the Opacity slider).

Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the all the advice guys. I am actually up in the Bay Area every week for business and I will have to plan one evening again and take pictures from the other side. Looks like oncea picture is too dark, you always gonna have the grain probem. I took the original RAW file and played with the curves a bit but I think this is as best as it will get.