Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:44 AM   #1

Hi,

Just my luck, the one time I made it to Paris it's all overcasted and all my photos came out verygrey and most of the sky is washed out.Attached are one example that has been taken with a Nikon Coolpix 8700. What can I do to make these photos come alive again ?

Jaco

Attached Images

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2

Real pity about the weather, Paris is a beautiful city.

I would do something like this. Change the sky first off by replacing with another. Selected levels adjustments, and usedthe Polarization and Sunlight filters from Nik Color Efex. A few tweaks of those and a bit of cloning.

Hope you like it.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:13 AM   #3

Yes, I was only in Paris for2 days and it was overcasted like this both days so all my pictures look like this. A real pitty. Thanks for the tip on replacing the sky, I will need to play a little with this technique to make it look realistic as well.

Jaco

Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:02 AM   #4

Sorry, I wasn't too specific about the sky. Find yourself another sky pic, Google Images is a good source, or just take a photo of a decent sky where you are. Then select the current sky using the Magic Wand, set a tolerance of around 10 pixels and click on the option at the top of the screen 'Add to selection', it's the second set of 'boxes'. Now click in the sky area and keep clicking until all, or nearly all the sky is selected. You may not get it all, that is where the cloning comes in later. If you select too much just go to Edit and click on Undo Magic wand. This will just undo (remove) the last part you selected. Go to Select/Feather and choose a value of 1 or 2 pixels to soften the edges. Open the new sky image and if it is just sky, select all. Press ctrl + C to copy the selection then back in your Paris pic go to Edit/Paste into. Deselect and zoom in close to see where the new sky hasn't replaced the old and use the clone stamp tool to finish it off. If the sky looks out of place you can reduce the opacity of the layer it is on to help blend in more.Or do a Hue/saturation adjustment,moving the saturation and maybe the lightness sliders to suit.

If I am 'teaching granny to suck eggs', then my apologies, if not, then I hope this helps.

Stevekin.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:37 PM   #5

Stevekin,

No I appreciate you taking the time and giving me tips and I always appreciate if pro's like yourself share techniques with dummies like me :?I upgrade from having a coolpix 8700 to a Nikon D70 only a few months ago and I love it but it's definitly different and I have lots to learn and I know enough of photoshop to get around so your advice is sure to come in handy and I will use that to play around.

Just wish I had my D70 when I took all these shots in Paris then I could have shot everything in RAW and maybe had a lot more to work with but at that time I only had the coolpix and everything was shot in .jpg

Thanks again.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:22 AM   #6

Never call yourself a dummy and don't consider me a pro. I don't.

It may appear that I am a 'pro' or 'expert' but this issimply because I know more than those who don't know as much as me. But you will learn by trying the methods outlined by others and reading the instructions and above all practise. That's what I did. Still do !! I still have a lot to learn.

Sometimes there isn't much you can do with the prevailing conditions when taking your shots, that's why I love Photoshop :-). It can get you out of a lot of holes.

One of the important aspects of photography is composition. In my opinion you got this one dead on .

Look forward to seeing more from you.

Stevekin.