Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:12 AM   #11

thekman, selvin, grinder - thanks a lot for looking and commenting [sorry for the late response, work has had to be a priority lately ]

how's your night shots coming on kman ??
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:57 AM   #12

Great shot! I really like the composition and coloring. Just out of curiousity, why did you choose to take the shot at ISO 400. Acording to the specs, the apeture was F11 and the shutter 1/400. Seems like it could have easily been taken at ISO100 or 200 with the same apeture. Just curious...
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:23 PM   #13

Hi Carskick - I tend to keep my camera set at iso400, particularly at this spot where the main focus iswildlife/birds. Set at 400 gives a good quality shot, [with the 20D]and also enables a higher shutter speed for those flying bird shots or jumping buck or whatever might suddenly appear around a bush. Inormally keep it on Aperture priority as well, at thewidest aperture possible, also to keep the shutter speed up, and I suppose I adjusted the aperture smaller here to compensate shooting into the sun. A lower iso would give a better shot, I'm sure, but then I would probably forget to set it back to 400 when I need it most :G:G

Regards
Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:44 PM   #14

Nice shot, Jake! What's on top of the hill? Is it an irrigation pipe from the dam?
zolbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:41 PM   #15

zolbol wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot, Jake! What's on top of the hill? Is it an irrigation pipe from the dam?
looks like a bridge to me

lol, i spent a good minute looking at the grass wondering why it was bent until i saw that it was a reflection..

but yea, nice pic..what kind of camera did u use?
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:24 AM   #16

This is a FANTASTIC shot! Can I ask where you point the camera to take the light meter reading to get this effect? I have tried a few similar shots but seem to find that either the silhouttes are too dark or the shot looks washed out and overexposed.

Regards

Simon
simonknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:46 AM   #17

Thanks afro zol 'n simon - zol,you're quite correct, that is an irrigationsystem on the far bank of the dam, quite an eye-sore in this beautiful spot. Afro, The camera is a Canon 20Dwith a Canon ef-s 17-85 lens, and simon, I suppose one has to find a balance between under or over exposing, which I do by trial and error [shoot, look at the results and shoot again - and ask the bird to do a return flightas well:lol:]

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment !!

Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:53 AM   #18

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
thekman, selvin, grinder - thanks a lot for looking and commenting [sorry for the late response, work has had to be a priority lately]

how's your night shots coming on kman ??

Sorry I'm slow to reply jake. No night shots or much of anything lately. Been dealing with too much work, and a sick parent, and haven't had a lot of time for shooting golf or pictures lately. Hopefully I can get back at it again soon. One plus is all the work probably means a new DSLR in my near future......cheers......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote