Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:58 AM   #1
Super Moderator

hey guys,

many of you may recognize me from comments and critiques, where i post extensively. i have decided that the next area of photography i want to tackle is landscapes. i haven't done too much true landscapes as of yet. but i have been doing my homework and learning from others. the purpose of this post is two-fold, 1)askfor a little advice and 2) show off a few of my "almost" landscapes (afterall this is a post your photo forum)..

questions- i need a wider angle look for my 20d. the widest i have is 28mm which is not wide angle at all on a 1.6x body.. so i am looking to go either 17-35 or superwide 10-20, 12-24esq.. the draw of the 17-35 is its overall versatility and compatibility with circular polarizers.. the drawback is its still not that wide.. the draw of the 10-22ish is the superwide perpsective, but when used with polarizers you get some weird gradients in the sky.. what are your opinions?

ok.. here are a few shots.. not sure if any belong here, but they've all i got as of right now..

Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:59 AM   #2
Super Moderator

shot with blue-n-gold singh ray polarizer.. condition- high noon, 100degrees, as harsh of lighting as possible.. this shot would not have been available at all without this polarizer.. really cool stuff if used correctly..
Attached Images

Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator

mono conversion
Attached Images

Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:00 AM   #4
Super Moderator

chapel in central missouri.. in mono of course..
Attached Images

Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:06 AM   #5
Super Moderator

and just for reference.. here is what i normally do.. (sorry for those that have seen before in comments and critiques).. just to let you know where i am coming from..
Attached Images

Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:39 AM   #6

I've commented on the flower before (I love it) so I'll stick to the other subjects. I really like the composition/contrast in the cityscape.; I'm glad you didn't aim straight down the bridge. (like I probably would:roll The chapel is my next pick. The road and the lights leading up the chapel create interesting lines. Works well in B/W. The barn is a difficult shot, and I think you have done as well as can be accomplished in the situation. There is nothing dynamic enough to really grab me. The colour version is stronger than the B/W, which makes me wonder if more of a toned conversion would be more effective.

I think you take good shots, Dustin. (especially the macro/flower kind) Good luck in finding a lens that suits all your needs.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Super Moderator

thanks again Tom! always appreciate your comments.. i actually did a quadtone version of the barn.. not sure if it really helps out much.. as you said, its really not the greatest picture in the world, a little boring.. i like to show it because it shows that you can get "a picture" out of harsh conditions with that blue-n-gold polarizer, given the right scene.. others with me on the outing came back with nothing at all as their scenes were washed out brown and uninspiring reds..

anyways, enough rambling, here is the quadtoned version..
Attached Images

Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:14 PM   #8

OK, I think that's much better.

By the way, the pano treatment of the flower is very well laid out.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote