Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:16 AM   #1

Stitched 3 images together and got this panorama which came out quite nice after some minor adjustments. Printable on A4, lost a bit on former image borders, but still usable. The island where the ropebridge leads to is the small one in the middle. It's a bit lighter than the others, next to the cliffs. The trail to the bridge can be seen far in the distance, upper right corner.

Was a cloudy day with only some rays of sun... which was good for walking but bad for taking "WOW"-pictures. What do you think?

P.S. Used Autostich to do the job - awesome tool!

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:16 AM   #2

Very good job!
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3

I think it's excellent

I like panoramas in case you hadn't noticed :lol:

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:29 PM   #4

I think you managed to get a "WOW' picture anyway! Great shot!

Bob H.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:58 PM   #5

Camera used? You were interested in a Fuji S9000 I remembered?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:44 PM   #6

Thanks all for the nice comments, that is a big motivation to experiment more with the pics I brought home from that vacation.

@Gaul

Oly C770 UZ. The problem is: I have a good zoom, but a poor wide angle and so I always find it hard to capture a landscape or similar scene. This time and with the articles I read in the forum I made another approach: I often took some photos instead of just a single one and now am hoping ai can combine into a panorama like picture.

As for the S9000 - yes. The manual controls (zoom and focus) look great and the zoom range from 28-300 mm too. Together with the (hopefully) high dynamic range and the AF/speed I think it could be a nice cam...

But I want to hold it in my hands first and see if I can work with it... not only tech params count.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:53 PM   #7

When the image count isn't enough for a full panorama I sometimes just do some post-processing and add borders and text like this There are occasions where you just need such stuff and so the images don't go wasted. Enjoy.

Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:30 PM   #8

that last shot would've been a killer without the caption/label... or perhaps with a much smaller and less intrusive one. beautiful scenery, and aside from the sky being blown out a bit, you captured it well.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:31 AM   #9

Both are great images but that last one is somethin' else.Very nice!
Andrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:14 AM   #10

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
that last shot would've been a killer without the caption/label... or perhaps with a much smaller and less intrusive one. beautiful scenery, and aside from the sky being blown out a bit, you captured it well.
You are absolutely right, but I do have the following problem. Most of my panoramas are from hand-held shots rather than the ideal tripod-based series. So it often comes out like this:

Now what to do now? If I cut a rectangle I end up with an image where valuable information is missing. In my case the lower right part with the trail and the rocks and the upper image part with the mountain top would be gone. But I want these parts because I feel they add to the picture.

So what to do? How you guys approach that? I am open for any hints and ideas.

You already saw what I did, I cut the edges to a more rectangle like shape and filled the "gaps" with some text.

Another idea which I didn't used/tried is to cut the original pano into 2 overlapping pictures and arrange them in a way so that it looks like you glued two printed photos together in an photo album.

Any other ideas? Any help appreciated, I got loads of other pictures to practice with.

Th.

P.S. Again: many thanks for the comments, the encouragement and stuff. The forum here helped me lots in the past year since I started with digital photography, really!