Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:40 PM   #1

Well it rained all night and most of the morning, so when it did finally stop I decided to take a Sunday morning stroll around the town, and since the weather was still pretty grim I didn't bother with the camera. When I got to the river, there was a crowd of people gathered - not particularly usual around here - all looking at the water - and as I moved in closer it was easy to see why. Our normally placid river had turned into a torrent, and washed a complete tree downstream. The tree was now lodged on the weir, stuck firm, and yet still bobbing up and down like it was no more than a twig.

Would it stay or would it go?

Either which way I decided to head for home and get my camera, and 20 minutes later (probably less actually), I was back.... and the water level had dropped at least a foot! The tree wasn't bobbing up and down any more, but it still looked pretty impressive so I settled down to take some shots.

Just as I was finishing up, someone turned to me and said "you should have been here an hour ago, it was really impressive then". "I know" I said: I didn't even grit my teeth... much.

Must be a lesson in there somewhere.... :angry:
Attached Images

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:41 PM   #2

And the side on view:
Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:46 PM   #3

And finally, for comparison, here's one taken about a month ago when there was a more usual amount of water in the river: the weir can just be seen in the background.

Regards, John.
Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:42 PM   #4

Good shots. These remind me of the fall rains we had here the last 2 falls. We got around 12" in a couple of days, and there were slides and flooding etc. In fact, we just received our first rain warning of this season today. Hope it isn't like last years.....Cheers...thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:14 AM   #5

I really like the first shot - that log looks like it is about to be realeased. Your story reminds me of a time I was on the beach at night - there was just a single cloud, surrounded by starry skies. That single cloud was emitting about 5 lightening bolts every second. It was amazing. Some of the boltswould lightup theentire beach. The cloudhad a diameter of about 50 metres. Anyway, I watched it for about 30minutes, all the time thinking the cloud woulddissapear. When Isaw it wasn't going to, I raced home, got my camera and headed back to the beach(took about 10 minutes). When I got back, it had totally dissapeared. I don't know if I'm ever going to see something like thatagain. Sigh.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:21 AM   #6

Good shots,John.You've really caught the motoin of the water well!
Andrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:52 AM   #7

Very nice John! I always have a camera with me, except when some kind of once in a life time shot presents itself!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote