Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:18 PM   #1

This is a strange one, I've posted b/w images of this location before, but I'm still struggling to get a good composition and lighting on this scene. As for why this has come out so blue I've no idea, there's no manipulation involved, it's just the way it came out !

John.
Attached Images

John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 3:28 AM   #2

This is exactly the same problem I had when trying waterfall photos - I could never get the colour balance right. I changed over to a new RAW convertor(RAW shooter premium) and the white balance wizard fixed them 100%. Great composition in the shot John.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:12 AM   #3

For longer exposure and bit complex shots like this u need to do some editing.
I have done some of the editing on ur picture (sorry). I hope it looks better to you now and resolved ur worry too...
Attached Images

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:06 PM   #4

pasu_chennai wrote:
Quote:
For longer exposure and bit complex shots like this u need to do some editing.
I have done some of the editing on ur picture (sorry). I hope it looks better to you now and resolved ur worry too...
Pasu: I'm familiar with the manipulations possible to correct this (and I don't mind a bit if folks want to re-edit my pictures), but I've never seen this problem before with long exposures unders similar conditions. Mind you, that woodland is so dark, it's practically a night time time shot !

Anyway, I thought I'd go back to the originals and have another go. One thing I discovered: I couldn't remove all the blue from the water without a distinct red cast appearing in parts of the waterfalls, so I suspect at least some of the water is supposed to be blue (it was so dark in there I couldn't really say how this compares to reality though!).

It'll be interesting to see how this compares to your edit, I suspect I've been more conservative on the adjustments, but lets see:
Attached Images

Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:31 PM   #5

oops... I misunderstood ur post.
I faced the same problem with on of my water fall picture.
I posted it on the same forum.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

Some one was kind enough to correct the blue shade with PS. I really got exited by that improvement .
So as soon I saw ur post with same problem I jumped in.

After ur reply , i also keep wondering why blue shade in the picture i took it in dark (7 pm ).

I will keep wathing this post for any interesting replies.

Pasu_chennai

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:07 AM   #6

pasu_chennai wrote:
Quote:
oops... I misunderstood ur post.
I faced the same problem with on of my water fall picture.
I posted it on the same forum.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

Some one was kind enough to correct the blue shade with PS. I really got exited by that improvement .
So as soon I saw ur post with same problem I jumped in.

After ur reply , i also keep wondering why blue shade in the picture i took it in dark (7 pm ).
Me too: all the images I've taken in deep shade before have tended to come out quite warm, and that's what I would expect if the camera's white balance setting is set to "outdoors". Evidently there's more to this than meets the eye.

So who's the colour temperature expert around here? :-)

John.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:57 AM   #7

To kind of answer my own question, this site: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...te-balance.htm has a very good white balance tutorial, and evidently a blue cast is to be expected from very heavy shade and/or dark conditions.

John.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:59 PM   #8

i have got a panoramic shot of loch lomond........small version in panoramics on here and that is as it came out of the camera......a very deep blue......i guessed it was something to do with the water reflecting the sky,even though it was shot in total darkness, i like the blue cast i dont think it spoils the picture
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 7:24 AM   #9

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
i have got a panoramic shot of loch lomond........small version in panoramics on here and that is as it came out of the camera......a very deep blue......i guessed it was something to do with the water reflecting the sky,even though it was shot in total darkness, i like the blue cast i dont think it spoils the picture
It's tricky isn't it? Sometimes the cast is a good thing and sometimes it's not, the tricky part is deciding which is which :?

If you've seen December's Outdoor Photography, there are a couple of portfolio shots in there with distict blue casts and they certainly do work. I also remember an advert for a well known filter manufacturer that used a panoramic shot of an Itanian lake: shot pre-dawn and so incredibly blue it was actually quite stunning.

All part of the "art" I guess.

John.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:39 PM   #10
Super Moderator

i think the cast works well when their is a relatively small amount of water compared to the whole scene.. there it provides a nice contrast.. but when there is an expanse of water, such as this scene.. the blue cast seems to dominate and take over, thus keeping you from scanning and enjoying the entire scene..

i like your last edited version quite a bit!!

---------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote