Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1

I know that the camera is not going to be everything in landscape photography, but some features would likely be an advantage? So is a 28mm W/A lens worth consideration? Or would the new Panasonic LX-1, also a 28mm, be close to a DSL camera? If a person really wants to get into landscape photography what are some good choices for equipment? Many thanks
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:49 AM   #2

i wouldn't say you'd need a 28mm lens, but something between 28 and 35mm would be a good general purpose WA lens.

from what i've read, the LX-1 isdefinitely NOT close to a DSL camera. it's 8+MP, yes, but the lens offers a limited zoom range (4x), and by all accounts it's so noisy that above ISO 100 it's all but useless. it does offer image stabilization, and the 16:9 aspect ratio capability is very usefulf for landscapes, but given what i've heard about the noise, i wouldn't recommend it for use except under ideal lighting when you can keep the ISO setting at 80. if it was me, i'd go for some other model and, if you really want that 16:9 or wider view, use a panorama program to stitch a couple of shots together. more work, yes, but if the images are cleaner, you'll get better results.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:19 AM   #3

Back when I was still using film, a 28-70mm zoom was my mainstay. Nowadays with a point-and-shoot digital, I'm limited to 38mm equivalent at max wide-angle, but stitching multiple images together is a surprisingly effective substitute.

There probably aren't any bad digitals these days, but the Canon EOS 350D seems to come out on top in all the comparitive reviews I've seen. Strangely it doesn't have a review on Steve's Digicams that I can find? The Nikon D50 also gets good reviews, and the new Sony R1 might shake the market up a little too.

Regards, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:50 AM   #4

If memory servse me correctly theEOS 350D is the same camera as the EOS Rebel XT here in the states. There is a review ofit on Steve's digicams

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/rebelxt.html

We happpen to have this camera and arereally happy with the results we get with it.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:52 AM   #5

Mugmar wrote:
Quote:
If memory servse me correctly theEOS 350D is the same camera as the EOS Rebel XT here in the states. There is a review ofit on Steve's digicams

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/rebelxt.html

We happpen to have this camera and arereally happy with the results we get with it.

Mugmar
You're right, and Steves review is favorable as well.

John.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:10 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Normec - I use a Konica Minolta 5D which is great for the lower light stuff as it has image stab and also great results at 800 ISO. Even at 3200 ISO the results are pretty amazing. Have a look at all of the shots in the reviews for both the 350 and the KM 5D. The reason the 5D gives better results than the 350 is that the CCD is larger and they have not tried to cram on as many pixels. There are advantages to both models. I would get to a good shop and have a play around with the 5D and 350 to see which you prefer the feel of. I was always a Canon man but the 5D won for me.

John - So what kit do you use then as I love a lot of your shots?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:06 AM   #7

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
John - So what kit do you use then as I love a lot of your shots?
Nothing special at all: A Kodak DX6490 4M Pixel point and shoot. At some point I'd love to upgrade to something better, but I don't see enough of a cost-benefit yet. Give it another 6-12 months and I reckon there might be reasonably priced 12M pixel DSLR's around. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway :-) For the time being I can work around the lack of pixels in my current camera by sticthing. I do get problems with a lack of bit-depth/exposure range though

Regards, John.

Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:19 AM   #8

Depending on how much you want to spend I think there's a number of relatively cheap,but good,dslr's on the market(Canon 350D(XT)),Nikond50/70,and the more expensive Canon20D).I have the 350D ,which I'm very happy with ,but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cameras mentioned above.If you were to go with the Canons I believe the 17-40 mm lens would be good for landscape photography,not only is it a very good and well-constructed lens,it's fairly cheap(ahem,@$600).
disclaimer:I 'm not employed by Canon:-)
Andrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:53 AM   #9
Super Moderator

i agree with all that has been said about the dslrs...

the 350d/rebelxt and the km 5d should be at the tops of your list if you are thinking of going the dslr route.. pair that with a nice 17-35 or 17-40 and you have a great all-around landscape combo that any pro would not feel hampered by..

i am using a 20d and tokina 12-24 combo and absolutely love it.. but it may bea bit pricey for you at this time if your current model you are looking at is a p&s digital..

if you are not ready for a dslr yet, there are a few good choices in advanced digicams you may look into.. the nikon 8400 is a favorite among landscapers for its 8mp of resolution and 24mm lens.. the olympus 8080 and 7070 are also good choices starting at 28 and 27mm respectively.. the new fuji s9000 has 9mp anda nice focal range of 28-300 (with mechanical zoom!)..

so, there are many choices here that i think would suit you much better than the panasonic, as that small of camera is just hard to hold steady, lacks some manual controls you will want, and that one is just too noisy..

----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote