Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:22 AM   #1

Best advice on staying warm in winter when in a group, is to huddle...
Clip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:43 AM   #2

I notice in your description you're using Sony's new R1. I haven't seen a finished review of that one yet, but I know this is an eagerly antisipated release, so basically, what do you think (so far)?

Oh, and it's a good picture too :-)

Regards, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:51 PM   #3

John asked "what do you think (so far)?"

The camera I had before was aCanon G2 that I have been using for the last 4 years, given that..... The Sony DSC-R1 can do nearly everything thatthe G2did but better (that is to be expected), except the view finder on top requires me to hold the camera upside down when photographing with the cameraoverhead.

I use the Canon Pro 1 at work and found the Sony far superior. The lenses and pixel # size has so far created better photos by far.I like the positions of the camera controls, and find what I use to be intunitive, andhaven't needed the manual after day 3.

I may be slanted with Carl Zeiss lenses since I own Rollie SLR film cameras (35 years old)that I still use with film since after spending thousands on Nikon, Canon and Minoltacameras and lenses (ended up selling them)I have yet found comparible quality in image from others, though the Rollie shutters are on their last legs.

The camera is more bulky than I would like, but I don't mind that after seeing how it performs and still have the G2 for carrying in the pocket.

The manual focus adjustments I really like, and are really very good since it uses a LCD screen output which could make this difficult.

The red range finder light at night scares the dogs though.

Worked today at -25 C temperatures (-35 C winchill)and battery consumptionis good (cold really kills them).

Please feel free to ask other specific questions as I have only been usingit for the pasttwo weeks.

Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:02 AM   #4

Clip: Thanks for the quick review, I'm impressed that it's working at the low temperatures you've got there, and doubly impressed that you're out and about in them!

Some specific questions:

What's it like in high contrast conditions (the main problem area for my current digicam).

Are you using RAW mode, and if so what do think of it? In fact if you have a high contrast image shot in RAW that you're willing to share (as the RAW file, so I can see how ACR handles it) that would be a big help.

Many thanks for your time, it'll be interesting to see how this camera shakes up the DSLR market in the next few months, I get the feeling that the other manufacturers have some catching up to do.

Regards, John.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:10 AM   #5

I have aRAW file but it is 20 mb. and I don't think I can find a server that would take it. I havetried RAW format, but at present my memory cards are only 256mb which really limits the # of shots.

You can check out another site (forum) that I use where I did a high contrasty B/W shot. at

http://www.onlinephotographers.com/y...?topic=42368.0

Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6

I found this review on the R1.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

Sounds like a heck of a camera! Nice shot BTW.
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:30 PM   #7

Quote:
I have aRAW file but it is 20 mb. and I don't think I can find a server that would take it. I havetried RAW format, but at present my memory cards are only 256mb which really limits the # of shots.
Understood, those files are really big aren't they? I've also found another completed review here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A.HTM and it looks good. If I do replace my camera in the New Year it's going to be a very tricky choice!

Thanks, John.

Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:56 AM   #8

Nice shot Clip and welcome to the forum. BRRRRRR- I admire your enthusiasm getting out there and shooting in that cold. I'm also quite interested in seeing how the Sony performs. It looks like a great alternative to a DSLR if you're not going to be shooting wildlife or need a huge zoom. I could see lots of people buying one of these and a super zoom and not bothering with a DSLR. Look forward to seeing more posts from you. Cheers from the "Wet Coast".........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:30 PM   #9

Can that camera shot in B&W mode or did you post process. The reason I ask is B&W is perfect for that shot. I will have to visit the Forks myself soon, but this weekend I'm trying Candycane Lane.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:11 PM   #10

Cannon wrote:
Quote:
Can that camera shot in B&W mode or did you post process. The reason I ask is B&W is perfect for that shot. I will have to visit the Forks myself soon, but this weekend I'm trying Candycane Lane.
On this one Post worked the B/W, but the camera does a fine B/W setting.