Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:47 PM   #1

I stood in 23 degree temperature waiting for this shot. I couldn't get to the car fast enough. Comments on sunrise?

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Daniel%20Bolton/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/2005_1215Sunrise2/New%20Folder/2005_1215Sunrise20059.JPG[/img]
Attached Images

MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:04 PM   #2

I've been shooting in the 12 mp mode. Trying to get more photos for printing and framing. Are these shots not coming out good?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 6:51 PM   #3

it sounds like you're asking for some critique on your sunrise shots, so here goes... they're coming out well enough in terms of exposure, etc., and i certainly admire your courage in braving those temperatures for the sake of photos... you wouldn't catch me out at that time of the morning at 23 degrees! but frankly, the composition of these just sort of leaves me cold (pardon the pun!). aside from the one of mt. hood,which hassome color to it, they seem rather bland, with no particular point of interest. perhaps if there were something in the image to draw the viewers eye, or pique the curiosity... a different angle, something in the photo illuminated by the first rays of sunlight, maybe a closer crop on something more central to the image... of course, that'sjust my personal opinion, so don't take it as gospel.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:29 AM   #4

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Daniel%20Bolton/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/2005_1215Sunrise2/New%20Folder/sunrise3.JPG[/img]Mt. Hood is actually there, and the pilings, and the contrails, but not one subject. I was standing on a platform over the bank and trying not to get the house light , but still get the mountain, river, and sunrise.

I'm not sure why the colors aren't coming through? They're looking good on the camera, but don't transfer well to the computer. This one was actually darker once when origionally downloaded. Here is the un-touched photo.

I am trying to see if I'm on the right track with my photos. Thank you Squirlo33 for the critique. I was wanting some input 'cause all I get from friends and family is "that's nice", but also thank you for not bludgeoning me bloody when I asked for it.
Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:38 PM   #5

MoonGypsy wrote:
Quote:
[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Daniel%20Bolton/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/2005_1215Sunrise2/New%20Folder/sunrise3.JPG[/img]Mt. Hood is actually there, and the pilings, and the contrails, but not one subject. I was standing on a platform over the bank and trying not to get the house light , but still get the mountain, river, and sunrise.

I'm not sure why the colors aren't coming through? They're looking good on the camera, but don't transfer well to the computer. This one was actually darker once when origionally downloaded. Here is the un-touched photo.

I am trying to see if I'm on the right track with my photos. Thank you Squirlo33 for the critique. I was wanting some input 'cause all I get from friends and family is "that's nice", but also thank you for not bludgeoning me bloody when I asked for it.
i try to be diplomatic... no one likes to be bludgeoned! :G

to help with the colors, you might try boosting the saturation in PP, to bring out more color in your shots.i don't know what PP software you use, but some will let you boost specific colors, such as blues or reds, while leaving the rest alone... that might help in this case.

Mt Hood is visible inyour shot, but it's too distant to be much of a factor. trying to put too many subjects, or too many points of interest, in a photo tends to leave the viewer wondering what the picture really is about, and exactly you were trying to do. that's why it's best to keep the image as simple and uncluttered as possible, and to focus on one, or two at the most,aspects of the scene. the most dramatic scenes, in my humble opinion, have a single central element that clearly says, "i'm what this photo is about!", so the viewer has no doubt what s/he is looking at. supporting details are fine, but they shouldn't overpower or dominate the composition or they run the risk of confusing viewers and making the picture seem lost. this applies whether you're taking a shot of a family pet or the kids, or a dramatic outdoor scene. the best photos, to me, have a clearly identifiablesubject that speaks to the viewer in some way, thatgrabs the eyeand demands recognition. that's the difference, in my mind, between snapshots andreally good photos.

composition is, to me, THEsingle mostimportantelement ofphotography. i've seen countlesstechnically excellent photos - proper exposure, lighting, etc.,shot with top-notch DSLRcameras - that still don't "work", because the photographer didn't say anything to me with the image. no clear subject, no clear indication of intent, no "point" to the picture. i've also seen pictures shot with very basic cameras that were exceptional because the photographer keyed in on a great subject, or used a more interesting or dramatic angle. the photo "had something to say". as far as i'm concerned, composition far outweighs megapixels in terms ofimportance to a good photo. i guess that's why photography is classed as an "art"... :G

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote