Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 17, 2005, 5:59 PM   #1
Super Moderator

I had just finished a run around the reservoir and noticed a couple of interesting spots as I did so once I got my breath back I grabbed the camera.... only problem was it had become really dark so was not sure what I was going to be able to get.

In these two shots it was so dark that I had to guess focus as I could not see much at all through the viewfinder.

Pic 1 is a 20 second exposureand pic 2 is 25.

I have not tried this sort of thing in low light before, so please tell me what you think.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2005, 6:00 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Pic 2

Forgot to say the only PP was to boost saturation, add unsharp mask and make slightly lighter using curves.
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2005, 7:55 PM   #3

both came out well, though the second one doesn't do a lot for me. the first one is gorgeous, though... you'd never guess it was dark when you took that shot!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 4:13 AM   #4

I think they came out very well, I agree with squirrel about the second: technically it's very good, but there's not much to hold the eye. I like the first one lots though: where did you take it, Norsworthy Bridge?

BTW, if you're looking for a better viewpoint of the reservoir, then up on the old railway line or above the old quarry you pass on the way into Burrator from Yelverton (just before you get to the dam) work well.

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:19 AM   #5

love the first one........love the colours and the soft water, thats the type of shot i could never get bored of looking at

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:14 AM   #6
Super Moderator

John Maddock wrote:
Quote:
I like the first one lots though: where did you take it, Norsworthy Bridge?
I would like to have had more time there to try out different angles, but was getting hard to see anything so decided to call it a day.

I know what you mean about the second.... was just playing around to see what I could get..... will try those other angles next time I am up there for a run.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:49 PM   #7

I really like that first image, it has a real fantasy look about it.

Here's a Photoshopped version that attempts to bring out the impression that I got from your photo.

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:50 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Cool..... so that I can learn more, how did you do that effect?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:51 PM   #9

I'm not sure how much you'll learn from these steps, most of this just comes from being so familiar with the program that I just kind of pile on adjustment layers and effects like layers of paint, but I'll give you the gist of it:

First I duplicated the layer, applied a bit of gaussian blur and set it's opacity to 25%.

Then I added a levels adjustment to bring up the contrast.

Finally I added a curves adjustment in which I brought down the midtone in the red channel. That's everything for the color adjustment.

For the beam of light, I created a duplicate layer with a threshold adjustment applied. I applied a radial blur to that layer starting from the upper left area, tinted the layer yellow, applied it as a screen and masked out the parts that didn't belong.

That's sort of the simple explanation for the beams. Because I'm a masking and adjustment layer fiend, what I specifically did was create a group and made it's type "screen". In the group I had the threshold layer with the blur applied, and on top of it was a hue/saturation adjustment layer. The mask was applied to the group itself. I think a lot of that only works in CS2, maybe CS1.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:23 PM   #10

I like the original much better. The light steaks don't look all that natural to me AND they smother the reds which help intensify the greens and the contrast overall.

You boosted saturation and increased sharpness and the remake did the opposite.
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote