Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:25 AM   #1

I really liked this picture except for the glow below the sun. Just about every photo I've teken with my Canon A610 where the sun shines directly on the lense, I got this glow. This effect is not present when I use my Panasonic LZ2. Is this s problem with this particular Canon lense? Any ideas?
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 4:53 AM   #2

Looks like lens flare - google for the term and you'll find a few ideas, but mainly keep your lenses and filters as clean and free from dust as you can. I can't remember if the f-stop setting has much effect on flare, but maybe someone else can jump in with an answer?

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3

I don't know that particular camera but possible problem is lens flare. Keeping watching other knowledgable persons will probably have an answer for you.
Kind regards.

Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:36 PM   #4

yup, it's lens flare, and there's not much you can do about it, except - in this situation - wait for the sun to sink a bit lower in the sky.if you don't getflare like thiswith your Panasonic, it's probably due to the internal construction of the lenses. flare is more likely in cameras with more spacing between lens elements, or with less-than-top grade optics. i don't know how good the A610's lens is, butCanonopticsusually are quite good, andPanasonic typically uses very good glass in their cameras. it's odd, the EXIF for this shot says it was taken at f5.6, but the specs for the A610 say it has a minimum aperture of f4.1... anyway, the LZ2 has much more zoom capability, so i can only conclude that the different lens construction in the Panasonic has a lot do to with its relative immuinity to flaring.

since neither of those cameras can accept a filter or lens hood, you'll just have to try to avoid shooting directly into a light source like this, especially with your Canon.
squirl033 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:04 PM   #5

Thanks very much for your comments. I've been doing just what you suggested...avoiding direct exposure to the sun.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote