Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:59 AM   #11

Greetings John!

Yes, the internet is a great resource for such things... though I hope you haven't been too frustrated when doing a web search for a local landmark that it sends you to the other end of the globe... :-)

Tasmania wants to promote itself because tourism is the 3rd biggest industry (1st: hydro-electric power... huge amounts and plans to sell loads to Melbourne - across Bass Strait - under 300km of water!, 2nd: forestry - only renewalble / safe forestry practices - Tassie isa very "green" / environmentally aware culture and 3rd, as I mentioned: tourism!)

I'd encourage you to try to visit sometime... if you can! I have enjoyed my 3 visits to Cornwall and Devon!

About the shadows / highlight tool you refer to - thanks for the tip. Can I ask, is that in the curves / levels part of "image adjust"? Imust admit I do understand them a bit... should research and practise in them a bit more. Can you recommend either "curves" or "levels"..?

All the best, and bye Paul

PS.... what does: "HTH" mean?
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:03 AM   #12

Paul, HTH is "hope this helps".

If you're using Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) then select Image->Adjust Lighting->Shadows and Highlights. It allows you to add a "fill light" to the shadows, and at the same time selectively darken the highlights. It's a *lot* easier than the curves tool.

The next best tool is the levels adjustment (try sliding the middle point slightly to the right to darken the midtones without hitting your shadows too much).

And last comes brightness/contrast, don't touch these unless everything else has failed as they're really rather crude adjustments!

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:31 AM   #13

Hi John! Thanks for your very helpful advice / information. I played some time with the Photoshop "shadows / highlights" tooland could also get better colour rendition with it than the other jpeg editor I had been using.

Also, thanks for explaining what HTH means...... Now I know! lol!

And here I'm posting what I came up with. It's truly a bit better than the first edit I made (though more "fiddly" and time consuming!)

Hope you like it!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:58 AM   #14

Hi PJ, I agree with a lot of what has been said. The first one does it for me. The cropping is just right, the composition is very good and I particularly like the very natural beach colors. Nicely done!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:03 PM   #15

Great crops. Just goes to show that it's sometimes worth taking a fresh look at photos that we've previously discarded. That's one of the beauties of digital photography. One photograph can yield countless creative possibilities.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:53 PM   #16

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Hi PJ, I agree with a lot of what has been said. The first one does it for me. The cropping is just right, the composition is very good and I particularly like the very natural beach colors. Nicely done!

Tullio, thanks for your views! I appreciate what you wrote. Tasmania has some FANTASTIC beaches... if I ever go back to live there I guess my DSLR will travel a lot with me (and future family...) around there. So far my loving and patient fiancee (Romanian lass) enjoys sharing the hobby of photography with me... and at times she's a good balance when I'm too "photo crazy" telling me at times to put the camera down and just enjoy things for what they are (which often I do anyway..!)

Yes, the beach colours are sometimes hard to get right / spot on. At times the real colours can be VERY vivid yet, there is a balance there... and at other times I see things (e.g. travel brochures) which exaggerate colours unnaturally.... You know! So anyway, thanks for congratulating me on the first colour which you like!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:55 PM   #17

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Great crops. Just goes to show that it's sometimes worth taking a fresh look at photos that we've previously discarded. That's one of the beauties of digital photography. One photograph can yield countless creative possibilities.
Hi ladyhawkVA! I appreciate your kind comments.

And you're absolutely right, this is ANOTHER great benefit / blessing of digital photography... to be able to go back and "work on it" for more creative possibilities. I'm still learning the power of composition / white balancing, cropping, exposure, etc.

Of course if we do it right "in camera" (when taking the photo) then it helps to get a better photo first of all. But still programmes like Photoshop are great to help out (also where the camera's limitations are).

Thanks again, and have a good day... Paul
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:29 PM   #18

Once had a friend in Tas and she used to say this was a lovely place. I can see it. Indeed crops can make all the difference. Kind regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:16 AM   #19

Hi aumma45. Yes indeed Tas / Tassie / Tasmania is a fantastically beautiful place.. and in a way almost like a secret wilderness to much of the world. And it's not so smalll... (many people think it is, comparing it the vast space of mainland Australia) It's slightly bigger than Sri Lank, almost the same size as Scotland, larger than half the size of England. (it's 68,000 sq km). And has a population of just half a million for the entire "island". So you can imagine, LOTS of beautiful space.

Many friends of mine who have visited Tassie from Europe have been amazed at the natural beauty, fantastic beaches (many people in Tasmania swim in the ocean between Novemberto April) and it has lots mountains, occasional snow, plateaus, heaps of lakes, rivers, rainforest etc. Seemingly the only thing we DON'T have is desert!

Here is a website of a person from Tasmania (whom I don't know!) with some nice photos... I've never been back to Tassie with my DSLR ... yet!

http://www.geoffmurray.com/

Paul