Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:44 PM   #1

I have been looking at some of the great B&W pictures that bhammitt has been posting and it inspired me to try a little B&W treatment of my own.* I took this shot about a week ago using a C-polarizing filter.* Then I worked on the contrast a little in PS Elements.* Please, let me know what you think.* Be honest, I can take it.* [img]/forums/images/emoticons/cool_shades.gif[/img]* *Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:44 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:23 AM   #2

Ooooo, that's great. What kind of birds were they? They do make a great sight.

If I were being hyper critical, then maybe the image is a little too "busy". There's so much going on I don't know were to look first :? Actually I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing really :-)

Hope this helps!

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:44 AM   #3

Hi smac! !! This is great! It may just be me but, color photographs seem to show the beauty of the subject but b/w shows beauty and brings out many different emotions or feelings. If this place is close to your home, I would certainly make it one of your regular stops on photo outings.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 5:42 AM   #4

This is a unique and wondeful photo.Dof and clarity are quite spectacular:-)
Andrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:24 AM   #5

Thanks John,* they are Snow Geese.* They're starting to head north again so, there are only a few more opportunities to get them in pictures.* * *Bob, I agree.* There is something about B&W that evokes different feelings than when viewing color.* This refuge is about 40 min. from where I live.* I have a yearlong pass and try to make over as often as I can.* Especially when the water fowl migration is on.* Thanks for your comments.* ** *Andrew,* I thank you for the compliment.* * *All the best,* Steve
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6

Hi smac, if in one hand I share John's comments, I also agree with Bob and I think you did a great job adjusting the contrast. The blacks, whites and greys are well balanced, not too intense, not too dull. I personally think that good B&W photos are much harder to take and manipulate than color but at the same time, today's photo enhencer software can help tremendously. With film, the photogrepher would have to use a variety of filters AND know how to develop their own photos in order to obtain good results (Walgreens photo development just would not do it). Not to mention that one would have to spend quite a bit of money on expensive enlagement equipments, paper, film and quimicals. With PS (or many other software alike), you can easily achieve that for much, much less.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:57 AM   #7

Boy!* I agree 100%.* *I spent about 25 years trying to learn ( and I am still learning)* all of the subtle tricks of B&W (and color) with 35mm film.* And you are dead on when you say it's much harder and a lot more exspensive in the film medium.* It's just a slower process given that you have to wait until you develope to see whether or not your shots came out.* I don't think Digital is any better or worse but it sure cuts the learning curve down a bunch.* *Thanks for your comments.* Steve
Old Jan 28, 2006, 2:03 AM   #8

The contrast is lovely. Black and white still has its place.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:16 PM   #9

Thank you very much Aumma45.* I thought this shot would look good in B&W too.* This encourages me to try some more B&W work.* Bye the way, I would love to come to your part of the world to shoot photos.* I have seen some magnificent examples of the photo opps. in your neck of the woods here on Steve's Forums.* *Thanks again all,* Steve