Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1

I've been so envious of all the sunrise and sunset photos people have been taking and last weekend was the closest I've cometo a nice sunrise since I bought the Pentax. When I looked at the photos, they were really full of color and nice, so I resized them and posted them to photobucket. When I looked at them there, they had lost their color. So if you don't mind, I'm going to post both the photobucket version and upload the same file directly here because I want to see if they are the same. Please let me know if you think the photos have any merit or if you have suggestions for the future.

I don't see any difference, so I guess it's the compression when viewed in Explorer instead of looking at the same file in photoshop.

Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:37 PM   #2

Here is the second shot. I can think of a couple of things that would have made the photo better - the first one might be going across the tracks and getting closer to the Joshua tree? It was fun to see a pretty sunrise and have the new moon just out there.
Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:37 AM   #3

I like the composition on that first one, very nicely caught.

Re the colours: are you using a colour-managed workflow in photoshop by any chance? If so, and you use the "save for web" option, then you *must* force photoshop to convert the image to the sRGB colour space before saving for the web, otherwise all those lovely colours will be lost, and reds suffer most of all in my experience.

If you're using the full photoshop or elements 4 I believe there is a menu option for converting between colour spaces, but in elements 3 you need to:

Create a blank document, save it *without* any colour profile, close it and then reopen, when photoshop prompts you, select sRGB as the colour space, and then resave.

Open the document you want to post on the web, resize, select all, copy, and then paste into the blank document. Photoshop will perform the colour space conversion when you do the paste - provided the source doesn't have multiple layers (Aaaaah!)

Then do a "save for web" on your new document.

Whew, easy hugh?

You can see the difference this makes here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=sRGB

HTH, John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:28 PM   #4

Ooooh - that must be it. I'm going to have to look at both the camera and how I have Photoshop set up. I've been using CS2 (had heard that CS2 handled memory better than Photoshop 6, what I had been using. When my other half went to buy the up-to-date version of Photoshop, it wasn't available as a stand-alone so I got Creative Suite (academic version). While playing with their tutorial, they have you set the color space, and I didn't think about that being a problem. My camera has the option of using AdobeRBG, and they said that photos taken with them would look lighter if opened in other programs. I think I've got something set on Photoshop to convert the sRBG raw file to adobeRBG when I save it (I don't usually use save for the web - I like having the exif data to refer back to).

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:26 PM   #5

Now that I'm home, I've had a chance to look at everything. I mostly use RAW and ACR to convert the file. When I went into my photoshop settings, it was set to use whatever was embedded in the file. Next checked the camera - it was set at sRGB. Hmmm - set Photoshop to convert file to working RGB, set that to sRGB. Open file, use ACR to convert the original file, and I got a message asking me if I wanted to convert the file to sRGB! Well, well - ACR automatically converts the file to Adobe RGB - I didn't realize that!

Here's another attempt, this time with the file converted to sRGB. Thanks for the information!

Well, back to the drawing board - there's no change (sigh).

Attached Images